steering wheel restoration

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The project progresses slowly. I filled the cracks and painted with SEM satin black. Not as smooth as I would like and tried 0000 steel wool then repainted. Still not what I want. I wonder if polishing compound would work?

Once the spokes are done then I will finish the wood

also

i redid mine too
used por
then paint with flat black and polish with
mequire's 40
comes back close to new

Be interested to know if the cracks come back since the wheel will be under stress when used. Mine were barely visible so I left them alone.

Cool thread. I need the little white 'screws' that hold the horn button to the base plate. They (as well as the black plastic female part that goes in the horn button) seem like a good candidates for 3D printing but each of mine are a glue covered mess.

sanding and polishing compound works

I tried it, sanded the black spokes to get rid of scratches. Done gradually up to 2000 grit then hand polished. Mirror like finish is possible if you take some time. Great sense of accomplishment once finished.

Thank you all!
I have some 1500 or 2000 grit and the three stages of GRIOTS polish.
When I get some time I will work with it again.
Stan

Stan, 3M makes great sanding sponges (about 4" x 5" x 1/4") up to 1500 grit (maybe more). I got mine at an auto paint supply store. They are great for wet or dry sanding uneven surfaces like the wheel rim.

Back