Stock E9 antenna placement - Help needed

drvee12

Reaction score
Have a 71 US Spec 2800CS, either it never had an external antenna, or panels were replaced and antenna was left off. A quick survey on the photo gallery of this site, as well as other CS pics seem to point to the L/H front fender as the most popular location for the "stock" antenna. Before I drill, can anyone give me some measurements or other way to kind of pinpoint the proper spot to drill the hole. There are no obvious metal reinforce points under the panel to help locate. Also, does the antenna in the front fender location normally reside out in the elements behind the front tire, or is it supposed to mount behind a protective panel? Does anyone use a power antenna in this location? If using a power unit, will I be better off going to the rear fender to protect from the elements?

Thanks for any help and advice before I start to drill.

Steve
Santa Monica, CA
71 2800CS Fjord / Black

stock antennae placement

Steve
I have a 70 2800 cs(2270163) and my antennae is on the A pillar.
If I were to move it, I would place it in the rear panel for simplicity of install.
I am not so sure there is a stock placement, as there seems to be numerous mounting positions.
steve in reno

hi Steve,

I have '70 2800cs (Euro) which had a power antenna on the right rear fender. Don't know if it was stock or if some PO installed it. Car had a working Blaupunkt Frankfurt (US) when acquired.

-HTH
-shanon

Agreed- no apparent ryhme or reason on where they were installed. Fruont fenders are "closer" but do not protect the antena from debris, etc. Rears required an extension cable- which means $$ and time to install.

On my 2800cs, 1970 U.S. version, the antenna is front right fender. I'm relocating to the left rear to install a power antenna for car cover purposes. Any suggestions for which antenna to use?

Antenna location--BLUMAX came with LF

Fender location with factory installed power antenna--really a BAD Choice--as a novice owner had no idea of how vulnerable that location was to prove by driving it in all kinds of weather--even here in mostly sunny SoCal--I replaced it twice before wising up and relocating it to the LR fender with a Hirschmam power antenna--since no failure problems

HTH

The bucket, 1974 Csi has a power anttena on the rear RHS wing.
Of note is that the NOS front wings I have the LHS one has a reinforcing plate spot welded on the underside where the hole for an anttena "should" be drilled.

I agree that the front is the wrong place to mount one, unless you have installed wheel well liners it will get wrecked in no time.

Malc

Any suggestions for which antenna to use?

Same as Murray. I bought a Hirschmann universal antenna off of Ebay for mine -- also mounted in the left rear corner. I started installing it last weekend, but didn't finish. It will fit nicely once I figure out a mounting bracket. I'll try to find the part number for you.

I agree with Murray. The front fender location for a retracting antenna is exposed in the wheel well. My fixed mast was right front fender, not in the a pillar. When I looked in the hole, there were 3 layers/shelfs of metal. During restoration we moved it to the left rear fender, I bought a Hirschman from eBay, seller even included the extension cable for $16 with instructions. I mounted it with the strap going down to the bracket that the trunk floor sits on. If anyone wanta a picture, send me an e-mail, not a PM (I can receive but it never lets me send).

I think coupes were like the 2002s, dealer installed the antenna where ever they wanted, some a pillar antennas are round, some rectangular.

I did not have any hole for the antenna when I got my coupe..The guy that installed my radio installed an antenna thats hidden under the dash..the reception is very good so far.....and no drilling required !

Cheers
G

Based on the fact that there does not appear to be a "concours" correct placement for the E9 antenna, seems that the left rear fender with a period correct power unit protected in the trunk is the best way to go. Thanks for the help!

Steve
71 2800CS Fjord / Black

Steve, Another reason to mount it in the rear fender is so you don't have to look at it while driving. Mine is left/forward and will eventually get relocated.

Back