Stone Shield Protection Q?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recently purchased the black "stone shield" shown in the Coupe restored at BMW Classic.
Since it sits directily below the radiator and other fluid containers, I am worried about
leaks that may be terminal to the "cardboard/pressboard" piece of original expen$ive equipment.

A buddy has suggested spray undercoating. Any other suggestions, all welcome.

Steve

Followed the thread above. A second recommendation for POR-15. I will probably go with that.

Thanks,

Steve

I think that POR-15 would be too brittle for this application. It is very hard. A rubberized coating seems more suitable for the flexible cardboard.

New materials

Perhaps, some of the new high strength vinyl? If Nascar racers can skin a whole car rather than paint.... maybe it's a choice for this kind of added protection that's flexible and can withstand petroleum products. Clear or go wild with it. Any graphics place could hook you up.

Before everyone goes back to the good old days.... remember heat and watch your temperatures. The Welt cars don't look like they move much to me. Stay cool.... literally.

My heat index is over 110 degrees today!

My heat index is over 110 degrees today![/QUOTE]

hi i assume you are speaking about degrees farenheit ?, my god ! that is 45 ºC

not for me, here in bilbao, we are at 27 ºC, and it keeps sunny (just come back home from the beach) with the temp gauge performing well !

i was in new york 3 weeks ago, it was something like 89 ºF, high humidity, it was terrible !, then boston was much more better with a little fresh air moving up and down, nice

Hot in the City

Hi Dequincey,

Yep F. Hottest month of consecutive days for us here! +humidity.

Hope you had a good time in NY and Boston?

Why not post this issue to the seller?
I would take for granted if I bought an "undecover" that it could match normal engine fluids and heat!!

If not, you have that one really cheap!

Last edited:
Stefan,
I bought the shield from my local BMW dealer - $231 including screws, washers and metal clips.
I hope to see more suggestions since I was fixed on POR-15 and now am not sure.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

protecting a new underpan cover

If I get around to buying an underpan cover for the BLUMAX it will get two coats of gray POR-15--it will strenghten the points where fastened to the underbody--and contrary to another post--flexibility becomes a moot point with this part and is unimportant--if more rigid I suspect it will actually last longer.

POR-15 has an operating temparature of around 400 F and would be adequate in the area it will live--and the double coating will shed fluids like water running off a ducks back.
JMHO

Blumax, I am curious why, "flexibility becomes a moot point with this part and is unimportnt." I know nothing about this type of thing.

Steve

Blumax, I am curious why, "flexibility becomes a moot point with this part and is unimportnt." I know nothing about this type of thing".

Steve

My understanding of the original purpose of the underpan was to smooth airflow under the car--so--as with present day aerodynamic aids they need to have sufficient rigidity to do their job. Pressed paper won't do it for very long.

I'm voting for the added strength that two coats of POR-15 applied to the inner surface will impart to the overall structure, as well as at the points of attachment, all the while providing an absolute barrier against fluids being absorbed by the pressed paper.

Hope this helps.

Steve:
When the POR-15 dries, it will be hard AND flexible. I know this because I was able to peel it off a plastic funnel after it dried. I seriously doubt it will crack...unless you hit a parking lot divider or something.

I have a five gallon can of urethane used for decks. the stuff is the consistency of honey when new - you could brush it on. It dries to a stiff but flexible covering and is available in colors. It is quite long lived on my deck here in Honolulu. the temperature on the deck is such that most of the time you can't walk on it without shoes or slippers, so to me this would be the stuff.

Downside, I'm not certain of the name or maker of the stuff I have, but any roofer or supply house should be able to connect you with something useful.

Back