Storage question

Cyrich

Site Donor
Reaction score
What suggestions do folks have for storing a Csi for a year? Advice on Oil, Fluids, Temperature/Humidity concerns, and even horror stories are appreciated.

Due to professional obligations I am going to be tied up for about a year. When you throw in a wife and two kids under the age of 3, I don't think I will be able to crank my car up that often. The car needs a little work here and there, but not enough for a restoration.

Thanks,
Chuck

Like anything else in life you get what you pay for. If you can afford the best then obviously a professional storage facility where the humidity and temperature are controlled would be the best. Also these types of facility would start the car often and some even take them for a drive arround the block once a month but they aint cheap.
When my car was in storage it was in an old chicken shed on a farm which tells you how much I earn !!!

Depends on you climate really, the drier the better
That said I would suggest one of those "carcoon" things if you have the space in your shed.
Also think about the following if it's not going to move for a year or so...

1.. Jack the car up and get the wheels off the ground, or failing that pump the tyres up to about 45psi.
2.. Drain the petrol and or use one of those "preservative" additives
3.. disconnect or remove the battery, charge it up once in a while
4.. Change the engine/gearbox/rear axle oil
5.. open the quarterlight windows a tad
6.. put some moth balls in the car - discourages both moths and mice!
7.. Remove the spark plugs and squirt some oil in each bore
8.. park up in gear with the hand brake off
9.. Tape up the exhaust pipe and the air inlet.
10.. change the antifreeze in the car, use a good quality product at 50/50 mix with "soft" water

Others will no doubt add
Malc

Storage suggestion and good practice for all

A general practice--keep gas tank full at all times when there are long periods of time between driving--wil minimize internal tank surfaces from rusting--I heard a rumor that new gas tanks are tough to find and are getting expensive!

So--when storing your car--(unless sstorage facility has rules against same)--fill tank and add a quart of stabilizer--filling will prevent or greatly minimize internal rusting of tank due to condensation forming from temperature fluctuations.

Rather than storage you can send the car to me in Norcal and I'll keep it
safe and fresh. I am sure you have read about the unveiling of the
1957 Plymouth time capsule buried 50 years ago. Not pretty, and I am sure
they followed every piece of advice. Check out:
http://www.buriedcar.com/photo_galleries/june_15th_unveiling/main.htm

Check it out Malc, it will lift your spirits.

Thank you for your collective wisdom. It seems that embalming and entombing the car, but not burying it, is the best course of action.

Your advice brings up the question of how often should I be starting her up (the car, not my wife) and taking her out for a drive. I don't want to accused of neglect, but right now it is every 2-3 months.

Chuck

Chuck,
If you taking the car out for a run every 2-3months and your storing it somewhere cool and dry then think about changing the major fluids at least once a year and "over pressure" the tyres after every run, remember to let them down again next time you go for a drive.
If your car is somewhere "hot" then add fuel stabiliser when you put it away.
MAlc

Back