Strange Times

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the first time in 27 years Shawn and I aren’t driving up to Santa Barbara to join her elderly parents and siblings for Thanksgiving/Christmas get together. Seems so strange but necessary in these times. So, I decided to restore two very rare license plate frames. Potmetal was chromed, background painted blue, the hard part will be the white paint on the letters. The Schneider frame will go on the front of my NK to match the rear one. Oceanview I will most likely keep as I was born in Santa Monica. I haven’t seen a decent Vasek Polak frame for sale in several years either.
2A8D6883-F13D-4FA7-850D-B5F79EBF7D5F.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good project, Chris. :cool:

Without a big project in the shop, I'm also searching for some smaller ones to keep me out of trouble.

If anyone runs across a Continental Motors, San Diego, period correct frame let me know.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We are also staying at home, as are the kids and grandkid and grandogs...Its really funny that I started last night with a tooth brush and the Softscrub to clean up the North Hollywood tag surround that came from you, Chris; thanks again.
Hope everyone has a "safe in the short term, here in the long term" holiday.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Quiet one for us as well. Just my wife and the three teenage kids. Her parents and cousins are not coming.
The vaccine works and is totally safe in the short term data. As physicians, my wife and I will probably get it within the next 90-120 days and we will be first in line. We anticipate a bike trip to Italy this summer as the world returns to normal. We may all be in masks for another year or so, but by next Thanksgiving we will all gather again.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First time in 25 years we do not have a loud household of guests & chaos, we are enjoying it! Just a quiet day off. Planning the same for the Solstice, Christmas & New Years. Cautiously optimistic for 2021.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good project, Chris. :cool:

Without a big project in the shop, I'm also searching for some smaller ones to keep me out of trouble.

If anyone runs across a Continental Motors, San Diego, period correct frame let me know.
That’s an incredibly rare one Dick, don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those. I will keep my eyes open for one as I search eBay every day.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That’s an incredibly rare one Dick, don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those. I will keep my eyes open for one as I search eBay every day.
Thanks, Chris. I should have said Continental Motors in OCEANSIDE...I got confused (not tough for me :( ). The first buyer had a San Diego address. There is currently a Continental Motors in Oceanside selling BMWs and SAABs. I wonder if it is the same one.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. I should have said Continental Motors in OCEANSIDE...I got confused (not tough for me :( ). The first buyer had a San Diego address. There is currently a Continental Motors in Oceanside selling BMWs and SAABs. I wonder if it is the same one.
Stopped by this AM to see but Continental Motors in Oceanside is long gone. The nearby old school radiator shop is still there!
A50BA707-415C-4558-BE05-A8E299B8213F.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
601 S Hill St? 69 directory

Yes. From the service manual with my owner's manual...

IMG_5412.jpeg

From the Service Stations Overseas directory...
IMG_5413.jpeg

It looks like South Hill Street became South Coast Highway at some point. The radiator shop shown by Eric is right around the corner from where Continental Motors was.

(BTW, beautiful car, Eric! :love:)

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes. From the service manual with my owner's manual...

View attachment 106721

From the Service Stations Overseas directory...
View attachment 106722

It looks like South Hill Street became South Coast Highway at some point. The radiator shop shown by Eric is right around the corner from where Continental Motors was.

(BTW, beautiful car, Eric! :love:)
Thanks Dick, my car has a good life!
That is so cool to see your car’s original owner’s documents. I had hoped to find a thread to follow for you at Continental but no luck. Will keep an eye out now.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Radiator King's new advertisement? ..."My vintage BMW coupe used to overheat, then I took it to Radiator King, and problem solved.." ...they wish.
Car looks great Eric.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to say, this TG was quiet, low stress and enjoyable with no politics/bickering. We even avoided the neighbors mom who double dips all the time and uses the excuse that she is old....