Stuck Clutch

oldcoupe

Reaction score
After a break of six months I started the coupe up. When I press the clutch pedal it offers normal resistance to the floor, and a helper can feel the rod moving inside the bell housing, but the clutch does not free.

If I start the car in gear with the clutch pedal right down, the car jumps forward. It's not freeing. I live in town, so can't take it for a drive on a quiet country road, which cured a buddy's Healey's stuck clutch.

Before I take out the gearbox and remove the nearly new clutch, does anyone have any suggestions, except for "drive it more often."

I had the same problem some years ago. The solution was something you appear to have tried briefly but you should persist a bit longer. Put the car in 1st gear, push the clutch to the floor, turn the engine over and let it jerk and splutter and jump for some distance whilst holding the clutch to the floor. If it actually starts up and runs smoothly in gear, stop the engine and repeat because it's the initial jerking and stuttering action that frees it, not simply driving in gear. This should free it after a few tries.

yYs , same thing mark stated.
It worked with my car. I pressed the clutch to the floor.
then put her in first gear while the clutch was pressed.
and then turned the engine. i didn't turn her over until the car started , but rather let the starter turn maybe a turn or two at the time. that moved the car a little forward. Then i put her in reverse and did the same- a couple of turns with the starter. after doing that two or three times it gave way with a loud noise, as the rust broke away.
I wouldn't necessarily try start the car, unless you got enough room ahead.

Stuck Clutch Freed

I just got round to the task. Put the handbrake on very firmly. Left it in fifth - offers most resistance to the engine, held the clutch down to the floor, pressed the brake pedal and turned the starter. The starter locks on the engine so I released and tried again.

After about the fifth try it freed with a bit of a clunk.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I intend to drive it more frequently.

Back