suggestions for an engine cradle

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm doing a B35 swap in the spring. I'd like to store the original motor for sentimental reasons. But, I don't like the idea of having it hanging on an engine stand or propped up in a corner on the sump (with some wood wedges). Plus, I want something that I can move about in my shop as it'll surely get in the way from time to time.

So, looking for suggestions for a rolling engine cradle.
I see Amazon & Summit have a unversal for $60 that might be easily adapted with some steel plate and a bit of welding. Does anyone have a lower effort suggestion?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w41037?seid=srese1&gclid=COWM5ou4v7sCFYQ7OgodDD0Aaw

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John,

i sent you an email w/ some pics of a cart w/ an s14 engine on it. i was too lazy to make the pics small enough to put on this site.

scott

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Storage prep

give a minute for thinking about how to prepare it for storage, fluids, ...
Good question

I was going to power wash, change the oil, drain the fuel, blow a bunch if air thru the coolant passageways and wrap it up in that wide plastic sheeting they use to prep pallets for shipping. The barn is very dry (dehumidifier). Ill probably leave a length of 3-8"
Chain on it in case I need to lift it into a trailer etc. I can't imagine anyone would ever want to resurrect it as the head was replace in the early 1980's after the original warped. It's just a run of the mill motor. It primary value is being able to sAw you have the original while enjoying the performance of a stage two B35.
John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Scott

John,

i sent you an email w/ some pics of a cart w/ an s14 engine on it. i was too lazy to make the pics small enough to put on this site.
scott

Looks like the best way is to weld up some brackets to interface to the tow mount locations. Seems
Like a third support ant the rear (using a bell housing hole) would be prudent

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Drain plug out at rear of passenger and plenty of oil in each cylinder.

threewebers

Reaction score
Engine stand

I bought some locking casters from Home Depot that were $11.00 each rated for 330lbs each, weld a rectangle with some simple motor mount brackets , put a 1 1/2" rectangular tube around 30" at each corner then weld angle , square or anything to support some 3/4" plywood on top..wrap engine in plastic sheet with a couple of bungee cords and have a new garage table....