Suggestions for radio power?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Hello, everybody.

I have installed a radio in my E9, but it is an imperfect solution. Right now, my blower motor is frozen, so I connected the activation signal to the blower pin. It works reasonably well, but I know it isn't correct, and I will really want my heater working when winter comes. I have been trying to figure out how to connect the radio to something that is active only when the car is running. I tried it with the window power, but when I used the windows, it cut power to the radio. The cigar lighter won't work because that is an always hot line. (already dragged that straight from the battery, along with the amp line)

The original radio connection (a purple wire, based on the wiring diagram) has since been hacked and doesn't work as it should, most likely because of the audio installers in the 80s.

The main issue, I suppose, is that it can only turn on after the car has been put in the "run" position and it cannot be connected to anything else. I am about ready to just get a switch and use that.

Fuse 10 is controlled by the ignition switch and meant for powering the radio and other accessories, can you draw from that fuse?

Mark

No power on fuse 10 after ignition. Like I said, the audio guys in the 80s sis terrible things to the wiring.

There should be a purple lead from the ignition switch that connects to fuse 10, if you can locate that wire and find what they did with it you could tap into it and use an in-line fuse if the radio doesn't have one already. I'm in the middle of removing all of the wiring added on by people who installed A/C, federalization, and radio - what a mess. I just got one of the schematics that is available on ebay and it is an order of magnitude better than the repair manual's

Mark

Back