Sunday wrap

corsachili

Reaction score
The past few days have been filled with Coupe activity. We "bonzai'd" through the deconstruction of Terry's CS and it now sits in my driveway, awaiting his arrival with a trailer to take it home where it will be decontructed further before heading to the bodyshop for paint. Another CS has found a willing participant, eager to part with blood, sweat, tears and toil to make it whole again. So begins the cycle.

Over lunch yesterday Terry and I were ruminating as to the number of CSLs left in world. If they made 500 LHD models (57 of which were Bats) there are certainly less than that left in the world. Regardless of whether you're restoring a Batmobile, a CSi, a CS, or even a 59 Karmann Ghia, there is something noble about keeping an old car on the road. The challenges, trials and tribulations that we encounter and endure teach us about the value of preserving something in this disposable world of ours.

Yes, it's easy to be philosophical for me now. Having finally solved the recalicitrant running problems of my CSL, having enjoyed a very nice drive in the car today with my wife, and having returned home to attend to much more esoteric things such as finishing the trim in the trunk, and installing some new stainless fasteners in the engine compartment I can look back with a measure of satisifaction that my CSL is one of who knows how many left in this world that are not just roadworthy, but actually get driven. My car may not be a daily driver, but she's no trailer queen. The patina of wear that comes with usage will serve to remind us all that above and beyond all, these are vehicles, modes of transportation, contrivances meant to get us from point A to Z, with verve and passion as a major part of the objective.

Chel made some incredible photographs of the car along Highway 1 today, and after our lunch at Alice's we got approving nods and even a thumbs up from the pilot of a new GT3 Porsche. The pictures will be on the website soon.

As with all things, the final 10% of my car's renaissance will be the most challenging. If the devil's in the details, I've got a lot of Beezlebubs to conquer. Now if I can just get the doors to close properly.

"Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle"-Michelangelo

Back