Sunroof an e9 option?

halz

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if BMW offered a sunroof as an option with new E9s?

Generally I am wary of cars with sunroofs but if a car came up with a sunroof and it was a BMW option then I'd be OK with that...

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Sunroofs were a factory option for all E9s, with a further choice of manual or electric activation. In the US, they are fairly common.

MichaelP

Reaction score
A factory sunroof is still a reason to be wary. Not only did the c-pillar drain tubes end inside the fender adjacent to the rear subframe mounts, but the drain tubes from the sunroof (if installed) did as well. Keeping in mind that the "seal" around the closed sunroof was not designed as a seal at all, but more like a filter (modern cars do this, too), the amount of rainwater that drained into the fenders and rockers tended to make sunroof e9s rust more effectively than the non-sunroof species.

If you're looking at a sunroofed coupe, look to see if a consciencious previous owner had the drain tubes extended to drain through the forward rear fender wall. If not, who knows what lurks...

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a way to remedy the placement of the end of the drain tubes inside the rear body cavity short of cutting a hole in the fender, lengthening the tube to feed it to the outside and then welding the fender back up?

Pictures of the tube ends that I've seen seem to preclude any other method.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Rerouting sunroof drains

Is there a way to remedy the placement of the end of the drain tubes inside the rear body cavity short of cutting a hole in the fender, lengthening the tube to feed it to the outside and then welding the fender back up?

Pictures of the tube ends that I've seen seem to preclude any other method.

I had a factory sun roof retrofitted to one of my cars (to replace an aftermarket glass pop-up roof) and the drain tubes were installed without cutting any outside body panels.

You have to remove most of the interior and trunk panels for access.