suspension bushings

steve in reno

Reaction score
I have read the prior posts on suspension bushings and would like some input from the group.
I love the way my car handles, and it still has old and crumbling rubber suspension parts, but all need replacing.
I don't want to stiffen up the ride in my coupe. I don't want tight and rattles.
I consider my car to be a luxury sports car. Quick, soft and beautiful.
Would the addition of poly bushings tighten up the suspension and add vibration/rattles?
If so I will go with stock replacements. Where can I find the parts lists for replacements with drawings?
I know that the group will have the answers that I am in need of.
steve

Steve,
Urethane bushes are the way to go as they are less effected by climate, oil, water etc.
There are a lot of makes out there, here are two I can think of off the top of my head.
Polybush
PowerFlex

You can get them in different "grades" of hardness from the same as original bushes right through to rock hard!. I actually used polybush "red" on my 2002tii and it certainly tightened it up without being jiggily or "crashing" over potholes. There has been no deterioration over the 5 years they have been on and they have taken a beating :wink: I'm glad I fitted them.

Most of the bushes on the E9 are the same as a 2002 with the exception of the front frame bushes, the big ones where the tie arm goes back to the front suspension. I don't know if they are made in urethane by anybody but I think BMW still supply them in "racing" grade, whatever that means.....

The rear subframe mounts are not available, in urethane either, well I have never come across them anywhere.

Others no doubt will know more...
HTH
Malc

I got some Poly bushings from Ireland Eng. and Bav Auto.
I did suspension, motor & tranny mounts. Works for me.
Harshness might depend more on your spring stiffness than the bushings, so I think w/ a stock suspension set-up you will still feel fairly 'plush'.

HTH
-shanon

Although fresh factory rubber bushings will be a huge imporvement, I wouldn't be too concerned about poly being overly harsh. My e12 was poly end to end, and wasn't harsh. It was very stiff due to springs and big bars, but the bushing compliance wasn't a problem.

The big front radius rod bush Malc mentioned is available from a fellow in Oz known as Grunt. Just order the e12 part, it's compatible.

http://www.gruntsbushings.com/bmw.html

Bushings and other parts

Replacing bushings with original factory rubber or going to poly-urethane is a matter of choice.

I ran the BLUMAX on factory original bushes for 380K miles without much deterioration--replaced all with original rubber, poly in the sway bar bushes and new lower control arms--I have HD Bilsteins and the Carl Nelson spring set running with 7 & 8 X16" staggered Alpinas--the result is a very taut street set-up. Be sure to check condition of your lower control arms if over 150K miles on the chassis--the 35+ years of time and moisture effect that area--they are often worn and the driving sensation can feel that your bushings are the culprit--when often not the case.

I would not do polys--unless you are planning a lot of track time not needed--larger sway bars and all the preceeding bits being very fresh takes the BLUMAX to the point of being very firm--almost harsh over small bumps but settling in at 80 plus mph with considerable precise "feel".

Contact Spence at Mesa Performance for other good guidance--they have both types available--have done business with them for over 30 years.
800-221-6372

Bushings etc.--forgot to add

Poly bushings that I had installed an '02 were disappointment--prone to go grunch, grunch, grunch when they got dry--and were a PIA until replaced with stock rubber--poly not my cup of tea.

Back