sway bars - wanted

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Huge bars

28.5mm is huge, stock is 17 and the 74s got a 22mm.

Chris
Yes they do seem big.
I put these onto mine this summer and they seem fine. I set the adj rear bar to stiff. Quicker transitions, less lean, understeer seems a little better, no down sides that I've noticed.
Also, I think we have more tolerance for a stiffer ride than we did back in the 1970's.
John

brea

Reaction score
Sway bars thickness

28.5mm is huge, stock is 17 and the 74s got a 22mm.

Chris, my 74 has fronts that are 34mm thick and rears that are 23mm thick. So I guess my front is not anywhere close to being stock.

What is the stock size for the 74 back?

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just replied in another thread. My 2800 came with a 18mm rear bar. In conversations with Hardy and Beck they recommend using a 23mm bar our of an E12. They have been setting up E9 suspensions since the 70s/80s. Given the E9s pillar flex they and tendency to pull itself apart they are proponents of moderation in bar selection.

Chris thankfully sold me an E12 23mm front bar. The combo is
really good.

73 E3

Reaction score
I purchased the ST bars from Amazon a few weeks ago, it was $262 shipped for the pair.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Based on previous discussions of this topic the consensus was that US '74's did not come with sway bars,presumably as a cost cutting move.Or the designers calculated that the weight of the new bumpers would compensate for the lack of the bars.By the way,E3 sway bars bolt right up to a '74 as the mounts are still there.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a copy of a 74 coupe window sticker and it shows Stabilizer Bar under standard equipment. Hoffman ordered all coupes the same way and these coupes commanded almost $18,000 by the time the last one was sold in late 75.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RealOEM shows both 633/635CSi as having a 19mm front bar. Apparently the 630CSi had the 24mm front bar but I think it will be very hard to find one of these.

Last edited:

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RealOEM shows both 633/635CSi as having a 19mm front bar. Apparently the 630CSi had the 24mm front bar but I think it will very hard to find one of these.

It was many moons ago so it must of have been a 630CSi that I used but could have swore it was off a 635 donor- Euro?

cdavie2002

Reaction score
Iv found a few suppliers of the ST 52015 kit in the US, but along with shipping costs, Total price fairly adds up!

Anyone aware of a European distributor.

Chris