Switchable 4 Speed Auto into E9

350manx

Reaction score
I have one of the above (but not yet taken delivery) and have plans to put it in my coupe along with a 3.5 litre Motronic.

Anyone done this converson into an E9 before? If so, what did you do for a speedo drive. I don't want to change the rear end to take E28 and drive off the diff as I also have a side loader LSD to go in.

Any help appreciated.

You could have a mechanical sender box made. Some of the mechanical gauge rebuilders locally have said they also make sensors/drive sets.

As a side note, however, I'm not sure how you will interface the trans computers with the distnct lack of chassis computers in the E9. Thusly, you'll probably have to fake out the trans computer by adding things like an electronic speed sender and a converted tach signal, as well as making a custom shifter surround and a means to switch between normal and sport shifting modes.

Very good points that I hadn't thought of actually. I was more concerned about the physical fit of the auto than the other technical stuff but now you have given me more to think about. Thanks for that.

I have a M635 that was auto - now 265 Getrag (with mechanical speedo drive). Maybe I should just swap over!

Mmmm a bit more the think about.

Back