Tail Light Reflectors

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The reflectors inside my tail lights are reflectors in part description only.
Some are stained others rusty none would reflect worth a darn.

What is the consensus on the fix? :?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Renewing taillight reflectors

I masked mine and sprayed them with Eastwood's spray Reflective Paint. I don't see that in their current catalog, but they now have something called Almost Chrome, Catalog # 25292Z $10.99 each. I've used it on several cars and it has lasted a good 10 years.
www.Eastwood.com

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Tailights--etc

The BLUMAX, BVCREME (my Bavaria), 2002 plus a number of other Coupes that have all been sorted by yours truly have responded to the following:

1) remove bulbs--assure all contacts and sockets work correctly--then using adhesive backed aluminum tape from the heating and A/C contractor--cut and fit same to all prior reflective surfaces--tape will handle about 450 degrees F

2) replace all with new German silver base bulbs of correct wattage

Results--BLUMAX has been so treated for 15 or so years and all lights are about 2 1/2-3 time their original illumination with no degradation--just uncover every few years and wipe clean--have shared this previously in response to questions of what or how to handle the problem.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tail light

I have the aluminum tape, I found it in the HVAC section of Home Depot!
There are 4 surfaces inside the tail light. The one for the brake light is not smooth like the rest, it has ridges and more surface texture. Will the tape conform?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Reflectors

Stan, I used Murray's technique, works great, I polished them with brass wool first and then put on the tape. Scrub the lenses with a brush as well. Lights are now twice as bright as before.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Burnishing contacts

Since I have the tail lights apart, it would be good to clean or burnish the copper contact points.

Any tips on tools and technique?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
ABC's to enhance your rear lights--including back-ups

The beauty of using the tape--it will conform to the many ridges and GREATLY improve all illumination over factory--much safer to protect your rear from in-attentive drivers--and with more light for back-up you are less likely to hit the trash can someone left on the driveway

1) simply press tape into ridges and creases using a popsickle stick to aid conforming to any/all surfaces

2) brighten the brass and copper parts with brobze wool--use the fine texture wool for this purpose--found here locally at Ace Hardware--check there are if near salt water boating country--check with marine supply store for the bronze wool

steve in reno

Reaction score
tail light relectors

The other tips are great.
I personally used a different tape.
There is muffler repair tape that is chrome, no problem with heat. 30' roll at pep boys was $2.99.
Brightened it up nicely!
steve

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Why bronze--not Steel wool??

steel wool "droppings" or particles will find crevices, nooks, crannies, etc and when it receives ANY moisture will rust in place--thus disfiguring those spots--bronze wool will not--

Around these parts bronze wool is very popular with salt water sailors to brighten their stainless and brighwork for that reason--I discovered several years ago and have used it exclusively since in place of steel wool