tail light renewal

steve in reno

Reaction score
Just completed removal and cleaning of my gas tank level sensor. No brainer and was able to reuse seal. Hope this will help in correct level.

Since I'm there and trunk parts out, I would like to clean up and renew the reflective areas of the tail lights. Lenses are clear and clean.

Any suggestions on what others have used and effectiveness.
help appreciated!
thanks
steve

I had good results with very fine/soft steel wool pad. Reduced/cleared haze/fog on all my brightwork nicely. Very pleased with results.

A dab of Semichrome/polish after steel wool step could add to it also.

HTH
-shanon

Pretty much any of the "chrome" spray paints will make the reflectors look like new. Just clean them well before spraying for best results, and cover or remove the contacts to keep them clean.

Reflectors

I followed Murray's advice and bought some mylar type of tape from Mesa here in the OC. I cleaned the reflectors with Brass wool then applied the tape. One of the bulbs is only 5W and I went with the 10W replacement. After cleaning the lenses as well my lights are now noticeably brighter.

Where did you get the mylar tape and what was the brand name?I looked all over and couldn't find anything that seemed correct,too narrow,too wide,too thick,etc.I also looked at and purchased many kinds of "chrome"paint and found most are not for exterior use(my lights don't fit too tight so I was concerned about moisture)Maybe the new "Fusion" line of plastic specific paint?

Tape

Mesa Performance has the tape, it is about 2 inches wide and I just trimmed it to fit with several pieces for each reflector. I will have to look tonight for the brand name.

I tried the paint, nice bright silver but not a true chrome. Made it better, but not reflective enough for turn signal and running light.
I purchased bright chrome tape today from pep-boy's, 2", $4. Will cut and paste tomorrow and give a preliminary post answer.
However, as we all own 30 year + cars, time will tell!
Will use the left over paint to clean up the rear covers to lense.
steve

tape

The tape I bought from Mesa is called VentureTape and has a paper backing that you peel off and then apply. It is a bright silver color and is very refective under a light.

I cut and installed chrome tape to the light reflectors. The tape was not the mylar type, but made for muffler repair. Very good adhesion and reasonably easy to apply.
Increased the 5watt running light to 10 watt. Need #5008(10watt) bulb.
Increased the light output by 50% on all lights using this repair method.
Easy fix and recommend to all in need!
steve

Rear lighting renewal & enhancement

Approximately 10 years ago I used 2" self adhesive aluminum tape that I purchased from a heating & air conditioning contracter to improve BLUMAX rear lighting--have now used on ALL the early cars that have passed through my hands--this material is highly reflective, very durable and as Chris and Steve have undicated will renew your rear lighting to a level superior to the original reflective quality--all lighting is now much more visible to following cars. Have used "chrome paint" from Pep Boys as well on a couple of cars for a quick fix--easy & good but results are lesser than the tape.

The first time you do it with alum tape it takes some time to do it well--gets easier for the next one.

Have periodically--about every 4-5 years--removed the tail-light assembly and cleaned the reflective surface--has been unecessary to replace the tape to date on my CS, '02 and Bavaria.

Some one mentioned that their lens leaked--an easy fix--go to Ace Hardware and get the round, ribbed vinyl material for securing screens to screen frames--will fit the groove nicely and works well as an effective, inexpensive substitute for the original stuff. Have used on a 2002 with excellent results so should work on a CS as well

Back