Taillight Restoration

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted about my taillight restoration. As you know, I already restored the frames and replaced the lenses, but I sent the bulb holders up north to be restored. To my surprise, they looked almost the same as when I sent them, except for one of the bulb reflectors, which was replaced. I decided to take them apart again and sent them out for chrome plating. As you can see on the pictures, some of them are still pitted, but that shouldn't be a problem since they're just to reflect light.

I was going have the plastic piece chrome plated, but it was too expensive compared to the other reflectors. Each of the bulb reflectors was $20 and they wanted $50 for the plastic one.

I am very happy with the results. I let Peter C. know that I was disappointed with the job and he told me that everyone has different expectations and sometimes, for a job to meet yours, you have to do the work yourself.

Thanks, Victor

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Almost a pitty to hide these inside the taillight!

I've been looking at my own lenses and was considering doind thesame, but I was held back by the clinch rivets (are the called like that? )
Did you drill out the clinch/rivets holding the electrical connections together?
Do is see it correctly that you used a screw to replace them? I'm wondering if that would make for a reliable contact.
(but I'm hardly an electric-guru; big chance it is a stupid question as also various groud connections use a screw in our E9's. )

Nice work!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those look beautiful. Where did you have the lenses chromed? That seems like a very reasonable price. Did you disassemble each lens, or did they chrome the whole assembly?

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Almost a pitty to hide these inside the taillight!

I've been looking at my own lenses and was considering doind thesame, but I was held back by the clinch rivets (are the called like that? )
Did you drill out the clinch/rivets holding the electrical connections together?
Do is see it correctly that you used a screw to replace them? I'm wondering if that would make for a reliable contact.
(but I'm hardly an electric-guru; big chance it is a stupid question as also various groud connections use a screw in our E9's. )

Nice work!
Hello,
I used a cut off wheel to remove the rivets and then did replace them with bolts. They should be fine. Thank you for the compliments!
Victor

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those look beautiful. Where did you have the lenses chromed? That seems like a very reasonable price. Did you disassemble each lens, or did they chrome the whole assembly?

Hi,
I used a local chrome plating shop here in Houston-- the same people who chrome plated my frames for the lenses. I did disassemble each reflector. They are each held by two tabs. Thanks!
Victor