Tatra 603: Freaky deaky rear mounted air cooled hemi V8

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hadn't seen one of these before, check out the dash, I think the reel to reel self destructs after it plays back:

Here is a little background:

Wow, that dash is straight from the control console of some nefarious international criminal organization!

This reminds me, my aunt once dated a guy who had a Jaguar E-type with a record player in it. Don't know if it could play LPs or only 45s.

Wow, that dash is straight from the control console of some nefarious international criminal organization!

This reminds me, my aunt once dated a guy who had a Jaguar E-type with a record player in it. Don't know if it could play LPs or only 45s.
Wow Jaguar E-type with record player - would have been cool. The reel to reel reminds me of the old Mission Impossible tv series - it always would self destruct after instructing the spy :)

Wow Jaguar E-type with record player - would have been cool. The reel to reel reminds me of the old Mission Impossible tv series - it always would self destruct after instructing the spy :)
The Chrysler 300s had a turntable option. It was in the glove box on a sliding drawer if I remember correctly. If memory serves, it was sub LP size but I could be off. Imagine the tonearm balance required to keep the needle from bouncing. Records didn't last too long with that!

Attachments

• dodge-old-highway-hi-fi-system-1.jpg
    dodge-old-highway-hi-fi-system-1.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 78
The Chrysler 300s had a turntable option. It was in the glove box on a sliding drawer if I remember correctly. If memory serves, it was a full LP size but I could be off. Imagine the tonearm balance required to keep the needle from bouncing. Records didn't last too long with that!
Yeah, tone arm must have weighed a ton :)

The Chrysler 300s had a turntable option. It was in the glove box on a sliding drawer if I remember correctly. If memory serves, it was sub LP size but I could be off. Imagine the tonearm balance required to keep the needle from bouncing. Records didn't last too long with that!
Maybe they just played 78s. They tend to be very thick with pretty massive grooves. That would be pretty hilarious actually. "Step into my Jaguar and allow me to put on some ragtime music."

I love these Tatra 603’s. That dash looks like it was a Politt Bureau staff car.
Lane Motor museum in Nashville has two. One is for sale @ $35k.
That’s a lot less than what it would cost to restore a barn find. Scroll down their for sale page:

This is their other one:

4B845068-9641-4DEB-83CC-48F64DCAFCDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Mopar’s Highway High-Fi (sic) first became available on 1956 mopar cars. I owned a 56 Dodge wagon moons ago and did some research. The records were specially made and only available from Mopar Dealers. Selection was limited. How many times can you listen to “How Much is that Doggy in the Window”?

I love these Tatra 603’s. Lane Motor museum in Nashville has two. One is for sale @ $35k.
That’s a lot less than what it would cost to restore a barn find. Scroll down their for sale page:

This is their other one:

View attachment 142592
Sweet car - buy the one for 35k and buy the other two for parts!

Mopar’s Highway High-Fi (sic) first became available on 1956 mopar cars. I owned a 56 Dodge wagon moons ago and did some research. The records were specially made and only available from Mopar Dealers. Selection was limited. How many times can you listen to “How Much is that Doggy in the Window”?
I think the B-side of that one was "High Hopes."

I don't think those were meant for in-motion, more for parking with your date at the lookout and some martinis

They were “designed” to play while you were driving. Played one hour per side at 16 1/3 RPMs

Apparently that Tatra 603 with the strange dash was a movie car.

Last edited:
A buddy had a record player in the glove box of his '59 Plymouth Fury. It played 45 RPM records. Upside down to put more pressure on the arm keeping the needle against the record surface. Can anyone explain the science/physics behind that one?

Back