Texture differences on steering column, gauge cluster and heater control panel

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just because i have these parts dismounted, i thought I'd post these pics.
Notice how different the textures actually are.

While trying to get everything fresh, i was looking (ofcourse) here to see how i could get the parts fresh again. I read about "vht" wrinkle paint and as buying is sometimes easier then getting garage time, i bought a can. Then when time came, all black parts were disassembled and i noticed that only the 4 rings around the gauges are matching a wrinkle paint. My other parts are distinctly different. The steering column has a course spatter pattern, and the heater control panel has a very light texture.

I also found that i do not need the VHT paint; my gauge rings are faultless. (So a bottle of VHT available for cheap)

Attachments

• 20200609_095121.jpg
    20200609_095121.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20200609_095211.jpg
    20200609_095211.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200609_095044.jpg
    20200609_095044.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 132

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a hard time with wrinkle pain since it has to be the perfect and uniform thickness so when it wrinkles and contracts, it is uniform. Better off with using chip guard where you can play with and get the texture you want, then paint. Just my 2 cents.

Wladek

Reaction score
All three are different:
1. Gauges rings are sort of wrinkle (current VHT Wrinkle is not the same structure)
2. Middle panel is medium structure
2. Steering column is large structure (non adjustable version).

In my opinion wrinkle will not look good on all three parts. As for me medium satin structure will be the nicest if you want to paint all three with same paint.
If your gauges rings are in good condition - leave them in original paint & just re-paint other parts with medium satin structure & it will work all together pretty good.

Mark Jarman

Reaction score
@eriknetherlands

I second the recommendations by @Wladek and @bavbob.

A few of my gauge rings had flaking paint and rust on the inner edge. I was able to to use the vht wrinkle paint to touch-up just the area where the original paint had flaked off. But as I experimented with the vht paint I quickly concluded if I just shot the gauge rings with it they finish wouldn't look original or good. The vht wrinkle finish works and it can look good, but I found getting it applied correctly so the wrinkle finish looked correct to be temperamental.

For the steering column I first created the texture using a brush. I'd just let the paint get tacky and then manually create the texture. Once I had the texture I was satisfied with I sprayed all the parts so there was a nice even application of fresh paint. I believe the paint for the steering column and HVAC console is the same finish and is a semi gloss black. I had multiple black finishes in spray cans and by trial and error selected the can that matched the best. It would be cool if someone figured out a dead on accurate paint code for these parts.

Like everything else, I think you can make it look dead on perfect... it just depends on how much time you choose to put into it. Mine looks much better than before, but a judge at a concours show would probably dock it for not being the dead on original black color.

WP_20200202_17_18_03_Pro.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used the VHT wrinkle paint on a couple of interior parts of the 2000CS. The heater control bezel and the lower steering column surround. I chose not to use it on my gauge rings; as stated above, the finish on the rings is different than what VHT provides. The 2000CS uses an aluminum piece under the steering column, just like a 2002. The finish is close enough to original in that application.

I was able to experiment a bit and found that the parts looked best when they were already warm (set them in the sun for a bit), then follow the directions on the can, a couple of light coats. I then used a heat gun to wrinkle the paint. It worked very well. You have to balance the amount of heat and not apply too much. I had to start over one time after I cooked one section and the wrinkle failed. Other than that, I recommend it.

6E3D5D3E-E1C4-4EA4-BB77-4DF0CCD5D4E2.jpeg

Ed Z