Thank you for letting new member from Canada join!

parklandvintage

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello E9 fellows,

I just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself to this forum.

My name is Sven and I have been heavily into classic Mercedes for the past 10 years. Currently I have about 8x 50's, 60's and 70's Mercedes in my collection. 7 out of 8 are running :)
Some of them are fairly rare cars such as 53' 220 (with sliding roof), 56' 190sl, 60' 300d Adenauer, 67' 250se coupe, 69' 280sl and the list goes on....

The last few weeks I started to look into other pre 80's european sports cars and instantly fell in love with the E9 body. This car has really caught my attention !

Needless to say, I think I will start looking for one :) and hopefully become a caretaker of one.

I would love to get some input from you fellows on this site on what is the right car to get since there is so many variations of the E9 body and I'm honestly not knowledgeable at all!

Not sure if there is any members on here from Canada? Perhaps even Alberta? It would be sure nice to be able to look at an E9 in person.

Would you guys recommend the 2800 as an entry level E9? I'm not looking for the greatest horse power, performance or lowest production number car.
Ideally I'm not looking at spending a great fortune either.

I do all my own work with the exception of painting so I would even be prepared to take on a car that is in need of mechanical and some cosmetic attention, no basket case though.

Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say!

Cheers,

Sven

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the group. A lot of good, straight, honest advice will be found here, with quite an active lot of folks. I think that most here will agree, that whether 2800cs or 3.0cs there isn't enough difference to matter. The most important matter is rust. Being a somewhat early unibody, some places that it lurks get really spendy, really quickly. Be sure to read and understand the FAQ section and the Rust Prone Areas before even looking at a coupe. One bubble at the sunroof, or on a vertical surface isn't (almost ever) just paint bubbling. Ask me how I know. Sunroof cars are more often rustier. Where the car lived means alot. How it was cared for does as well. Peter Egan used to say the best place to buy a car is where the lizzards and the snakes are poisonous...warm,dry, saltless areas. As you may have figured out, E9's are on an upward trend from a price standpoint. In the long-run, the old adage goes, now more than ever, buy the best car you can afford. I know that you are looking for better advice than "buy a good, solid car....", so my best advice is to read alot, ask alot, and latch on to the smartest girl in the class; not just the prettiest.
I am pretty sure that there are a few coupes in Alberta..maybe a stampeder? Someone will chime in on that, I'm sure.
Dave V. in western NC, USA

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome Sven. There are many Canadian E9s on this Forum. You can click on the Members link above, then again on Members Map, and you will find 6 Alberta members there. Good luck in your search. I also recommend purchasing the very best example you can afford. And by "Best" we all mean, the very least amount of rust to deal with. Mike