The "illness" continues

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on a suspension swap. I have a 1970 2800 CS that currently has non-vented discs up front and drums in the rear. As the car is disassembled now and I have a 1985 633 CSI 5 speed gathering dust in the rear of my building I thought I would swap the rear full assembly, swing arms, etc from the 6 series to the e9. I was told by a trusted outside source that this is a straight-forward swap but that the front suspension is quite difficult. So, has anyone done this.. and can I change the hubs/spindles only on the fronts to accommodate the bigger brakes. The fenders have been rolled so I don't see a clearance issue.
The end result I'm looking for is 4-wheel vented discs.
All comments welcome- thanks!

Attachments

• bare shell7.jpg
    bare shell7.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 161
  • bare shell8.jpg
    bare shell8.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 152

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's mine, I bought it to steal parts for my first e9 but it came with almost another car -in parts- so there seemed no sense in taking this one apart since it ran-OK. I tried to sell it but I don't have a title and there does not seem to be much demand for these cars, I know I'm not particularly fond of them. I have been unable to part it out so I'm just thinking. Thanks for any experience, thoughts and/or information.

tschultz

Reaction score
If you can find an early e24 635 from 78-81, they have vented rear brakes. I was thinking they should bolt right up--maybe not?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm going to do some up-close measuring in the coming days and I'll post what I find. I have heard that the rear assembly -will not- bolt right up because of the width but I'll be measuring. It would be interesting to see if this 633 has an LSD (not the kind you drop at a dead show:-( ). I'm just determined to use whatever I can-if it's an enhancement- from this 633 because I hate to see it go to waste.

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
Peter - if the 633 rear assembly doesn't fit the E9 and you still want to do a rear disc conversion please contact me. I have the rear trailing arms + cross member + spare new discs + stock springs from a '73 3.0 which are taking space in my garage.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How cool is that, I'll let you know- hopefully by the weekend, you can PM me with what you're looking for as far as price and I'll run it up the flagpole :)

Thanks!