The Mystery of the Dissapearing Brake Fluid

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Hi People, I'm a bit puzzled, Have'nt used my 73 3.0 CS for a couple of weeks(There's a reason why Ireland is Green)
Went out to start it and take it for a quick spin this am,No Brakes,No Brake Fluid, No spills or stains (other than the 4 small oil leaks I get when the car is hot)
I can hear a hiss of air when I pump but the refilled reservoir is'nt going down and I cant see a bust Hose or pipe anywhere?
Any ideas where the brake fluid went too?? and any ideas in general?
thanks
dax

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I wonder if the seals in the master cylinder leaked and the fluid went into the brake booster (servo). I am not a mechanic and this may be an impossibility, so you might have to wait for the experts.
abe

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The brake booster is a very real possibility. It happens, but its usually over a period of time while driving and fluid keeps getting added as the level drops. Eventually, you'll get enough fluid in the booster to get sucked into the intake and burn through the engine. This is quite the exciting experience, especially when your at a gas station and the smoke fills the entire station!! :cool:

Pull the vacuum line off of the booster and check for fluid inside...

Dan

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Missing brake fluids? Another suggestion--

Lift your driver side carpet from the firewall down--you may find wet signs underneath a favorite spot for hiding missing brake fluid--if clutch master clinder is leaking--it's possible your missing fluid wil be quietly puddling beneath and on your carpet.

As others have mentioned--the old filling of the brake booster is a real possibility--and I'll add that the motor doesn't really enjoy inhaling brake fluid and attempting to burn same--protests with loud pinging noises!
Been there--done that!

DustyM

Reaction score
Dax,

As mentioned above there are two possibilities, Both where apparent on my car.

1. the master cylinder (or clutch cylinder) are leaking. This will leakout into the footwell, possibly running down behind the carpet.

2. the seals inside one or other (or both) of the servos are leaking. When I removed my servos to send them off for reconditioning, both had brake fluid inside the vacuum chambers.

Cheers
Jon

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
Automatic, so its not Clutch, will check tomorrow, had one leak some time ago when I put Car on Ramps.suddenly had a major leak of one of the pipes,figured it got stretched and opened a join, back on level, filled reservoir all ok, no major smoke apart from the normal condensation from the exhaust but Fluid level in the Bottle is staying high so probably .