The ShiftKnob Saga Continues

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I guess can't help myself. I'm making another batch of knobs. The first one of the series I hope to share is for BLUMAX. This stuff is really hard to photograph indoors and at night. The fire in this wood is truly amazing!

A butch of wood waiting to become knobs. The dark piece in the upper right is the first casulty. The big block on the bottom is Black Walnut I harvested about 4 years ago.
ab23a44180a1575d720517ac0961d2b7.jpg

Squared and chucked:
57966cf44cfede7abdfcbad49841632d.jpg

Initial rounding
e44fb706b6bb521b13c7b519adfa398d.jpg

Rough shape
9f4d802560d4d0d0a72048be53af6cc9.jpg

Ready to sand and bunish
df816ceb5c9ff3de7563097ff1f8ba25.jpg

Sanded and burnished
ca7961202d9b13a170e47f61fc664538.jpg

First coat of finish applied.
885c0599a85eb73b5a79eb2c9e2209af.jpg

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
very nice... Do you have a waiting list? I might be interested, but I guess I have to ask how much before I commit. Send me an email or please post reply - thanks

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I haven't been accepting money for these things; I do it for the pure pleasure of turning wood.

I had not really considered selling them but perhaps I should. Unfortunately I would probably do well to simply break even on material. This high-end burl wood costs anywhere from $30-$50 a block. There are other options such as self harvested wood and less exotic woods. The amount I time I spend is real issue. Again, the burl wood is a challenge. You cannot simply rip into it with a sharp tool because it is fragile and tends to chip out. This means I have to slowly work the piece making only small cuts. The good news is that I invested in a nice 4 jaw self centering chuck with dramatically cuts the set up time. I started working the knob above around 9:30pm and I had finish on it around 12:30am. It will probably take another hour to bore and install a threaded insert.

My last issue is the threaded insert. I have a small stock of them but I will run out. I would love to simply thread the wood directly. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE THREAD SIZE OF THE SHIFTER? ANYPLACE I CAN ORDER A TAP?

So, let me consider how to deal with this and I'll think of something.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
knob job....

I shouldn't get excited about a chunk of diseased/behaviorly challanged chunk of wood. But I do. As I walk the dog every morning, there's a a cherry tree that has the most beautiful huge tumorous swell, that I will have to talk to the owner and remove before it infects all of the other trees....hehehehe. Looking good John! Hope Euro was fun. Let me know when the window racing kit is ready. Your knobs really are the coupe's meow.
Dave V. in western NC

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The knob first of the series is done. I also took a bit of the end material and made what I consider to be an ultimate refrigerator magnet. I used 3 small rare-earth magnets and it will hold a paperback book snuggly to the frig!

As usual, my photos are not even close to doing justice.

Murray - sit tight, I am traveling to CA tomorrow and I'll mail them after I show them to a friend who is a master wood turner and teaches fine cabinetry at Berkley.

76957728f67f3eb620b15b713035606f.jpg

049725b8c36eb210b0cda10219988556.jpg

cpeavey

Reaction score
Tap for Shift Knob

JJ,

I ordered my tap from Maryland Metrics http://www.mdmetric.com/

The size you need is M16 x 1.5

Their web site is bewildering - I don't remember, but I probably placed a phone order.

- Charlie Peavey

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Shift Knob & frig magnet

JJ--I'm really impressed with your workmanship and in awe of your generosity. I have two friends who do fine wood turning--but are not car guy--so no shifter knobs--but will show them your workmanship.

Waiting to see the real thing is difficult! Thanks so much!!

Orangener

Reaction score
Re: Tap for Shift Knob

cpeavey said:
The size you need is M16 x 1.5 - Charlie Peavey

Wrong size ! The right size is M15 x 1,5 mm !
But this tap-size runs out and nobody produce it at the moment !
If there are enough orders, i can produce a few parts, i will make them with circular-milling, but i can only calculate if there are orders:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.cpt-werkzeuge.de/assets/images/Fraser_Uberblick.jpg

cpeavey

Reaction score
Tap for Shift Knob

Sorry for getting the size wrong! Even with a magnifying glass, the diameter was hard to read on my tap. The etching is blurred.

This tap, in the plug pattern, is available from Maryland Metrics. They carry EVERYTHING. According to their catalog, unusual tap sizes that are not in stock are made to order in 1-2 days.

They even ship internationally...

Charlie

Orangener

Reaction score
@ Charlie : Please can you ask them what i have to pay for such a tap in size M15x1,5 ? My english is good enough for smalltalk like here in this forum, but not for such a conversation :oops: :? :(

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I have also confirmed the tap as 15x1.5. I found one tap ant www.use-enco.com and it is about $17.

I am looking to have about 20-40 inserts made up. It seems lots of people are interesting in my shift knobs and I am considering making them now at cost + whatever people think they are worth. Unfortunately, the cost of the high-end burl is often >$40 per blank! I have plenty of Walnut but it is a bit purplish for most tastes.

Here is are some progress photos of the next one in the works:

3efd94c84d3ffa0d417f342fa9d85ea4.gif

6ebdcb986242cb1e10bd28eee5f9590c.gif

4f11aea9664683b86b36f756c67fb91c.gif

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Beautiful Shift Knob in place of honor

The Jacobs "special shift knob" has taken the place of the former Alpina shift knob that resided in the BLUMAX--it looks GREAT!!!!--right at home and has a very nice feel as well. Will go out for a road test tomorrow.

Both of us thank you so much!!
Murray

cpeavey

Reaction score
Orangener, JJ's source is definitely a better deal than MD Metrics - probably half the price that I paid for my tap in 2004. They also ship internationally and you can order right from their web site.

JJ, how do you plan to get inserts made? Could I get a couple of them when you get a batch? I have a couple of blanks that I could turn into (pun intended) knobs at some time, but I would like to use a more secure method than the epoxy putty insert approach I used.

Charlie