the short shifter project

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
based on this excellent info from Mo, thank you Mo

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/shifte...hifter_faq.htm

and thanks to Mo who sold me his old lever (funny, because aiming for a short shifter, it is actually longer...)

here is it,

looks good, fits`perfect on a stock 3.0 cs 71

crucial is the type of shift rod, mine is not like the one in the picture, i have a sort of "Y" bar that Works perfectly in this 2002 shift lever

thank you Mo,

ps, sorry for the photo orientation

Last edited:
the shifting now feels more like a precission joystick ,...so short,
i have not tried it on the road yet, but seems to me very "quick", besides you are far away from the console boundaries, which is good

i will take meassurements and try to make a video

Last edited:
by the way, i found the lower bushings in this state:

one was missing, and the other,...yeah the "scary thing" pictured above, replaced them with new ones, ...wow, ammmmmmaaaaaazing

must do !:wink:

clean as much as you can, it is a dirty job (at least underbody job is)

replace all the rubber, nylon elements, place a dab of MoSi2 grease in the pin and in the holding cup, use a bit of loctite to glue the threaded pin

BTW, the final configuration of the assembly should be like the original one, so you should reuse the spring, ring cup, and so on...

Hi Dc,

Nice to see you found something to do. ;-)

After reading your comments and going over the link article you posted I think I found the explanation of why there is such a big difference in shift feeling between my Cs and my Csi.

In the CS you're really shifting with those "long troughs" as described by Mo, the CSi shifts much shorter and quicker. No idea if this has anything to do with how they left the factory or that a short shift system at some moment in time found its way in to the Csi.

Anyway good luck with continuing this project.

Looks great

Great job DQ!

I am a bit jealous not to keep this & make a short shifter myself :?:idea:

But I know you did a great job + this will provide much needed excitement for your summer driving adventures.

Thanks for posting & clean job as usual.

-Mo

Last edited:
Back