Third tail light?

tripower

Reaction score
What is that third taillight (usually below the bumper) I have seen on many vintage European cars? I have a friend who has an old Porsche 930 (Euro spec) and he has one on his and I have seen them on Euro E9's and I was just curious if anyone knew what these were for and if they were put on at the factory.

Rear fog light, same intensity as a brake light (21 watts). First came in in the early to mid 70's. Mandatiory on all in European, Scandinavian delivered cars built after 1980 or 81, can't remember exactly when.
Certainly saved my life, and car, a few times on foggy days.
Malc

On some later euro E9`s the fog light is built in to the rear light cluster. Cleans the back up no end.

marc

Rear fog light? I'm assuming that's for the guy behind you to see you at in the fog, yes? As opposed to you using it while backing up. And wouldn't it be a higher intensity bulb? If it is the same intensity as the OEM rears what good is it?

The tail light is 5W, the rear fog light is 21W as Malc stated which is the same as the brake light so it is brighter than a normal running light.

The tail light is 5W, the rear fog light is 21W as Malc stated which is the same as the brake light so it is brighter than a normal running light.
AAHH... enlightening.

Dscf0540.png

You can see the horrible thing hanging in the pic.

marc

DSCF0463.png

This is what they Tripower this is what they look like on a 930.
marc

Marc
I love it..... a porsche powered cement mixer :lol:
mind you looks like "dolly" had a few too many pints at the pub at lunchtime
And to quote the young lad

"Dad when are you going to buy a trolley jack? I'm fed up of lifting up the back end just so you can polish the sump plug..."

Sorry I couldn't resist :wink:
Malc

Back