Three Point Seat Belts

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After living with lap belts only for the last 4 years, I bought three point retractables from Al Erkanli ([email protected]) who has posted here but frequents the BMW2002FAQ as Bluedevils. My `73 had the old fixed belts originally and I added a retractor for the lap belt after buying the car but when it was painted, I installed a used headliner from Belgium that had no shoulder mount hole. And, when the car was reassembled, they left out the little shelf that US coupes had for the shoulder belt when not in use. I always hated the fixed shoulder belt anyway.

This summer I admired Kurt Delimon's beautiful coupe at the Summer Concours that had been updated with three point belts. I bought refurbished Autoflug retractors with new webbing and new hardware from Al which matched the female receptors in the coupe. I had previously bought Repa belts from Al for my `69 2002 that had fixed spaghetti belts that kept falling off my shoulder so I knew he did excellent work. I used the existing mounting points.

My friends know that I value originality and these belts fit the bill with a compromise for comfort and safety. My wife was very uncomfortable not having shoulder belts as well. Here are five shots of the installation, more to follow.

Attachments

• belt 1.jpg
    belt 1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 283
  • belt 2.jpg
    belt 2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 238
  • belt 3.jpg
    belt 3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 229
  • belt 4.jpg
    belt 4.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 249
  • belt 5.jpg
    belt 5.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Two more shots, I couldn't be more pleased.

Attachments

• belt 6.jpg
    belt 6.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 224
  • belt 7.jpg
    belt 7.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 215
This was my inspiration, Kurt's coupe. His coupe had a more rearward retractor mount which mine does not have but gives more clearance. Thanks Kurt!

Chris

Attachments

• CIMG5514.jpg
    CIMG5514.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 245
  • CIMG5515.jpg
    CIMG5515.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 218
Looks great Chris. You're going to be much happier with that setup. It's interesting that the down loop on your set looks very similar to mine which was sourced from a non BMW

Yep, I think they are identical, I believe it's a universal application. I will check it out tomorrow on a new year's drive in orange county with other coupers.

Nice Job

Thanks Chris for the pictures. That is a nice clean job, as I would expect from you.

My stock, static, belts are a bit annoying and I, as well, have grief from my significant other about the usability.

Thanks

Shawn

Chris and Kurt, you have the same long sash bracket indeed. It was made by Klippan for universal or OE applications. I bought bunch of them from a warehouse long time ago, so still have few more to make similar belts for the coupes. Enjoy.

Shawn,

Always best to listen to the wife or significant other from time to time! Especially if it leads to more coupe time together.

Does anyone else have the retractor mounted as far rearwards as Kurt's, are all euros here? Mine just touches the rear of the seat and I have no mount in his location which is more ideal.

Chris, the project is timely as my significant other has voiced similar concerns over the lap only belts. My question is whether all cs coupes had the mounting bung in the roof or was it only available on later coupes? I cant "feel" it through the headliner on my '70 2800 cs, but maybe I'm not pushing hard enough- I don't want to cause unnecessary wrinkles or tears on the old girl's headliner. If the mounting point is there on all CS coupes, I'd like to get a similar setup. Anyone know?

Glenn,

If it's there it is right in front of the grab handle, you can feel the hole for the bolt threads but you do need to push. It may not have been included until start of 3.0 production as I have only seen the rear mounted shoulder belts on the 2800CS but not on 3.0's.

Chris,
I'm pretty sure the mounting point for the reel is stock. My car was federalized when imported prior to my ownership and based on the quality of that work I'm pretty sure they had nothing to do with that mounting point

Shawn,
You should update your setup, with the right set it should be a bolt in replacement

good for you chris !

i am happy if you are happy, but honestly i don´t think i will go for that solution

anyway you have solved it in such a beautiful way !

regards

Back