Three Weber side drafts using stock 3.0 air filter.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
My question concerns an adapter/manifold to enable the use of a stock BMW air filter assembly on three weber sidedrafts. There is a coupe currently on ebay sporting such a device.

I have not been able to copy the picture so here is the ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...7615891QQsspagenameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101

I believe I had such a manifold and because it had no markings, squirreled it away in storage. If any of you are familiar with such an adapter/manifold can you please answer the following inquiries?

1. Who made the adapter?

2. The advantage of the adapter is keeping a stock “look,” and possibly reducing the intake sound. Aside from these things, is/are there any performance advantages?

Thanks in advance.

That air filter manifold on the ebay CS

No way that is a production airbox - study the details - it is clearly homemade - nice craftsmanship, but nothing the factory would ever have made. The nuts welded to the rods to accept the hold-down bolts, the sheetmetal screws holding it together, the way the brake booster hose is kinked to fit under the air cleaner, ... Plus, it wouldn't look at all stock - the airfilter would be biased more toward the right side of the car than it would be with downdraft carburetors.

Performance enhancement - I don't think so.

Sound - well, yes, it would be quieter than K&N style filters on the Webers.

Back