Throttle shaft seal leaking

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, this is not for my coupe, it is for my e24 barn find project, but I'm asking here because the fuel injected e9s used the same throttle body.

I have a leak around a shaft seal on my throttle body (there are two seals, one on each side of the shaft). There is a BMW part number for the seal - 13-54-1-257-265 - but REALEOM show this as discontinued and Maximillian informs me that they can't find it anywhere.

Somebody must have run into this leak. Thoughts on a fix?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Swap throttle bodies.

calling Al Taylor

or

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d like to find someone making these seals. 944 people make them for theirs but they’re not compatible with ours. I found on my E12 that those seals are critical.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Seals are frequently standard sizes, can you get the old one out and see if a shop can match it?

Weber 32/36 carb bodies wear oblong where the steel throttle shaft rides in the pot metal carb body casting. I've read, somewhere long ago, that it's possible for a machine shop to drill out the body and put in a new bit there for the shaft. Example of that: I drove ad a pal's 2002 for a couple weeks while he was outta town. The car would absolutely not hold a steady idle and I tried all the usual things (not much or many, on a 2002). Finally noticed a hissing leak at the TB shaft and gummed it up with some thick grease, which worked like a charm for maybe 5 minutes, them back to wavering idle. Said pal, rather a nutjob, got heavily t-boned in that car two weeks later. His then-new girlfriend was on the impact side, she survived but was never seen again. Years later I sold him a hopped-up 2002, it went badly. I only learn the hard way and usually have to do it twice. Watta digression.

Back to today's project: intake manifold R&R on an E46 that followed me home. Another rat B of a job, getting the throttle body off from deep within the bowels of the beast, all to replace the engine coolant temp sensor. Oh, the things I do to stay off the streets.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris - this looks promising...https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/115987034164.htm?pn=115-987-03-41-64-MBZ

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris - this looks promising...https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/115987034164.htm?pn=115-987-03-41-64-MBZ
From some research, that appears to be a rubber washer for an emblem. Hard to tell in photos dimensions but for the price it’s worth a gamble!

I did try a couple of neoprene washers etc and one issue I had was that when everything was assembled, the throttle butterfly would hang up or not totally return to closed even against the spring. The dimensions are pretty critical. In the interest of time I swapped another throttle body on and haven’t gotten back to it.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You will find them as spare part for the Yamaha XJ650, e.g. here
Got this info from Gerhard from the german forum
Thomas
I ordered some of these Mikuni throttle shaft seals. Will report back.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’d like to find someone making these seals. 944 people make them for theirs but they’re not compatible with ours. I found on my E12 that those seals are critical.
Why is this?

Is it a un-metered air issue?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi All - its been a while, but I wanted to report that the Mikuni seals TomHom directed me too worked. I was able to properly set my idle once these seals were installed.

Also, Chris Kohler was looking at a Weber part he sourced locally and I think he had good success with this. If you want to go that route, please double check with Chris.

Again - this is for an M90 throttle body.

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a unique issue with a throttle body where i had to maintain turbo pressure of up to 30lbs. I took a mule TB apart and used gaskets that were generics and was able to get both the pressure and a smooth opening of the plate and operation from the mechanical connections. It was a luxury to have 2 TB to work with. I implemented the changes to the TB with the turbo. Tinkering with the TB taught me a lot.
Regards, Jon