Throttle valve switch? Alternatives?

bengal taiga

Reaction score
My question is whether any Mercedes model used the same throttle valve switch as our E9 equipped D-Jets and , if so, what model Mercedes that might be. Yes, I am aware that many Euro models used the D-Jet, including Mercedes, Volvo, and Porsche etc., but the throttle valve switches all seem different than the E9 version.

REALOEM lists the DJet's throttle valve switch as 13631358436 which supposedly corresponds to Bosch number 0 280 120 035. I am told that Mercedes used the same Bosch number, but have been thus far unable to confirm this. Maybe some of you more savvy E9ers have the answer.

Thanks.

pamp

Reaction score
Bosch stuff

Again, vintage Volvo- 142e, P1800e, 164e Damien of London is in need of a pressure sensor, manifold air 0 280 100 030 Seems this item is rare. I did find a new Volvo unit suffix #059 $600.00 USD Thought I might buy it, polish the unit, and admire the thing on my mantle! He said that he saw one (030) offered for $1100.00 USD Oops...no longer in stock! For that money I would find a used Volvo unit and try it on the car ($80.00 CAD) Hook up to an exhaust gas analyzer and see how she reads

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Re: Bosch stuff

pamp said:
Again, vintage Volvo- 142e, P1800e, 164e Damien of London is in need of a pressure sensor, manifold air 0 280 100 030 Seems this item is rare. I did find a new Volvo unit suffix #059 $600.00 USD Thought I might buy it, polish the unit, and admire the thing on my mantle! He said that he saw one (030) offered for $1100.00 USD Oops...no longer in stock! For that money I would find a used Volvo unit and try it on the car ($80.00 CAD) Hook up to an exhaust gas analyzer and see how she reads

Thanks for the response. I am pretty sure I have looked at the 164 and 142 switch. They won't fit on the E9's throttle shaft or they turn in the opposite direction. At the moment, I can't recall which.

Many of us have dipped our toes into the D-Jet improvisational hot tub. See for example: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3951&postdays=0&postorder=asc You will note there are suggestions to include Opel in any D-Jet parts search. FWIW, I have had moderate success using an "adjusted" PSU from a Volvo 164 (for some reason I seem to repeatedly confuse that model with the 200 series). The engine ran well but not terrific. (Rougher than normal idle and lean at the upper rev range.) Results were far better with the PSU from a later 74 D-Jetted Mercedes 280 (good driveability and fuel economy). This PSU conveniently has the hex screw adjustment.

pamp

Reaction score
TPS

Indeed,
As my curiosity was peaked, I pulled a B20E intake from my stock and you are correct. The shaft turns opposite. Rats...Sorry for not checking this prior to posting. On the Electromotive EFI site they list a "D" type TPS for use with their system. It might be possible to retro to make work? There must be someone out there who has some practical experience here. I did make some inquirys a ways back as to using this system on the M30 D-jet motor. As usual, most things are possible as long as you are willing to throw S-pots of money at the problem! At the present time I have all the issues ironed out on my car so don't feel the need to fix what ain't broke. But looking to the future and the obvious scarcity of the correct vintage stuff, sooner or later it will become impossible to carry on with "dinosaur" injection. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. The guys who parted out the inumerable e3 cars did not have the foresite to squirrel away bits that cross over to e9

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Re: TPS

pamp said:
The shaft turns opposite. It might be possible to retro to make work? There must be someone out there who has some practical experience here.

The easiest, less intrusive workaround might be to space the switch away from the throttle body and use the space to attach an adapter of some sort so that the original throttle shaft engages the different non-original switch. An adapter could be fashioned from a simple dowel, hard plastic or even epoxy.

If that doesn't make sense there is always changing either of the components. Since the receiving end of the throttle switch is plastic, I guess it could be remolded/reformed to accept the D-Jet throttle shaft. I couldn't say if such an endeavor is feasible or practical given the fragility of other components. Even though it seems more labor intensive, the throttle shaft could be filed, bushed or reformed to accept a different style switch. And, for all I know, the shaft could be reversed or even swapped with another shaft from say a Volvo or later BMW etc to make things work, albeit awkwardly. All of this might be rendered moot if someone could confirm and identify the alternative Mercedes or even VW/Porsche switch.

As to D-Jet parts becoming rarer, there are still a few L-jets around to consider as conversion donors. :wink: Maybe that is what is meant by the word "progress." :?

pamp

Reaction score
D-jet

Hmm... Don't kill me for this. I consider L-jet to be a step back in as far as simpicity, reliabilty, tune ability, etc. Yeah better parts availability. Thats it.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Re: Possible alternative.

As noted, REALOEM lists the DJet's throttle valve switch as 13631358436. This supposedly corresponds to Bosch number 0 280 120 035. A further search reveals a Euro site listing a corresponding Mercedes part number: 35454924 http://boschserviceweber.pl/boschparts/kompatyb/0_280_12-17.htmpolish Unfortunately, the number offered does not readily reveal any Mercedes model/s that actually used that part number. :cry: It may be that the number is incorrectly posted or just plain erroneous.

Further information, if available, would be appreciated.

Having located a spare 035 switch has resolved my immediate concerns. Because the issue is likely to recur, a few observations follow.

The printed circuit boards are the primary wear area on most switches. Switch 035 uses circuit board part number 1 288 310 032. It is possible another switch uses this same board or that another switch uses a board that could be adapted to the 035 switch. They appear to be dimensionally similar. FWIW, switch no. 030 uses board no. 1 288 310 009 and switch no. 039 uses board no. 1 288 310 023. A cross reference chart, if available, could prove helpful here. No effort has been made to determine the extent of the differences between the various circuit boards although some are obvious as when there is an additional circuit.

The plastic pieces that fit the throttle shaft appear to be the same on all the switches, except that some are notched differently to accommodate different throttle shafts. To the eye, it is obvious that the 035 plastic receiver will fit other switches and vice versa. They are secured to the board by a simple "C" clip. While this would seem to make all switches theoretically Csi-friendly, most throttle shafts do not rotate in the same direction as the Csi. (The back side of each switch bears an arrow indicating rotational direction.) The 035 switch has and arrow indicating CCW while most of the other switches have arrows pointing CW.

FWIW, switch 030 fits the Csi throttle shaft and operates in the same direction as the Csi. The 030 has a 5 terminal connection rather than the 035's 4 terminals but the Csi's stock female 4 connector will fit the 030 switch (leaving the top most terminal exposed). No effort has been made to research the issue further but it seems a fair guess that this extra connection and circuit is not used by the Csi's D-Jet. Since the Csi's rubber boot will not fit the wider switch, electrical tape and/or dielectric grease to protect the exposed connections from the elements might be a good idea.

Disclaimer: absolutely no representation is made that this workaround will work on all Csi's. As they say, your mileage may vary, but it seems to work on the one test subject. How this alternative switch affects overall fuel delivery and consequently, overall engine performance, remain to be seen. Perhaps this information might benefit someone in desperate need of a switch that works. Since the OEM may still be available (at a price) it may still be the best approach. Then again, sometimes the road less traveled may be the better road. :wink:

Good luck to any/all who may try this.

Danke.

PS: Thanks to Aussie Faq'r. To the best of my recollection, the 3.0si/ 635 switch is for an L-Jet (different t-shaft rotation/configuration) and not a direct replacement.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Re: Possible alternative.

As noted, REALOEM lists the DJet's throttle valve switch as 13631358436. This supposedly corresponds to Bosch number 0 280 120 035. A further search reveals a Euro site listing a corresponding Mercedes part number: 35454924 http://boschserviceweber.pl/boschparts/kompatyb/0_280_12-17.htmpolish Unfortunately, the number offered does not readily reveal any Mercedes model/s that actually used that part number. :cry: It may be that the number is incorrectly posted or just plain erroneous.

Further information, if available, would be appreciated.

Having located a spare 035 switch has resolved my immediate concerns. Because the issue is likely to recur, a few observations follow.

The printed circuit boards are the primary wear area on most switches. Switch 035 uses circuit board part number 1 288 310 032. It is possible another switch uses this same board or that another switch uses a board that could be adapted to the 035 switch. They appear to be dimensionally similar. FWIW, switch no. 030 uses board no. 1 288 310 009 and switch no. 039 uses board no. 1 288 310 023. A cross reference chart, if available, could prove helpful here. No effort has been made to determine the extent of the differences between the various circuit boards although some are obvious as when there is an additional circuit.

The plastic pieces that fit the throttle shaft appear to be the same on all the switches, except that some are notched differently to accommodate different throttle shafts. To the eye, it is obvious that the 035 plastic receiver will fit other switches and vice versa. They are secured to the board by a simple "C" clip. While this would seem to make all switches theoretically Csi-friendly, most throttle shafts do not rotate in the same direction as the Csi. (The back side of each switch bears an arrow indicating rotational direction.) The 035 switch has and arrow indicating CCW while most of the other switches have arrows pointing CW.

FWIW, switch 030 fits the Csi throttle shaft and operates in the same direction as the Csi. The 030 has a 5 terminal connection rather than the 035's 4 terminals but the Csi's stock female 4 connector will fit the 030 switch (leaving the top most terminal exposed). No effort has been made to research the issue further but it seems a fair guess that this extra connection and circuit is not used by the Csi's D-Jet. Since the Csi's rubber boot will not fit the wider switch, electrical tape and/or dielectric grease to protect the exposed connections from the elements might be a good idea.

Disclaimer: absolutely no representation is made that this workaround will work on all Csi's. As they say, your mileage may vary, but it seems to work on the one test subject. How this alternative switch affects overall fuel delivery and consequently, overall engine performance, remain to be seen. Perhaps this information might benefit someone in desperate need of a switch that works. Since the OEM may still be available (at a price) it may still be the best approach. Then again, sometimes the road less traveled may be the better road. :wink:

Good luck to any/all who may try this.

Danke.

PS: Thanks to Aussie Faq'r. To the best of my recollection, the 3.0si/ 635 switch is for an L-Jet (different t-shaft rotation/configuration) and not a direct replacement.

damienh

Reaction score
Guys, if anyone's interested. After exploring all avenues without success, I'm now working on having mine repaired by getting internal components made in the UK. It's been an extremely complicated process and I'm not quite finished, but in a week or so I'll know if it's a success.

If so I may have new spare parts for the mechanically gifted, or be able to help on getting these things refurbished.

Damien

damienh

Reaction score
Guys, if anyone's interested. After exploring all avenues without success, I'm now working on having mine repaired by getting internal components made in the UK. It's been an extremely complicated process and I'm not quite finished, but in a week or so I'll know if it's a success.

If so I may have new spare parts for the mechanically gifted, or be able to help on getting these things refurbished.

Damien

damienh

Reaction score
...sorry, just to clarify, I'm referring just to the manifold pressure sensor Pamp mentioned I was seeking.

damienh

Reaction score
...sorry, just to clarify, I'm referring just to the manifold pressure sensor Pamp mentioned I was seeking.

pamp

Reaction score
Throttles

Ah rats,
Sven in Seattle has retro fitted a truly elegant solution, using the "Megasquirt" system. Electromotive is a more costly deal, but has been done on the M30. It may be time to bag the D-jet as the costs are out of control. My car is tuned to the maximum that I can accomplish with D-jet. The next time a "unobtainium" part fails, I will convert to a "modern system" It is a learning curve boys. "too rich...too lean"

pamp

Reaction score
Throttles

Ah rats,
Sven in Seattle has retro fitted a truly elegant solution, using the "Megasquirt" system. Electromotive is a more costly deal, but has been done on the M30. It may be time to bag the D-jet as the costs are out of control. My car is tuned to the maximum that I can accomplish with D-jet. The next time a "unobtainium" part fails, I will convert to a "modern system" It is a learning curve boys. "too rich...too lean"