Timing an Automatic 73

RIQUE

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have been having some trouble timing my 73 CSA. I hope someone can answer my questions.

1. There are two marks on the clutch drive gear a long a and short. Blue book states that at 1000 RPM's I must be able to
see the small bar with timing light set at 0. It also states that long mark must be visible at 1700 RPM but this does not happen.

If I set the long bar at 1700rpm then the small bar will not appear at 1000 RPM's? Must both marks be visible at 1000 and 1700? if so maybe my
dizzy is a tooth off?

I time both with gun set at 0.

2. Counter clockwise advances clock wise retards right?

Thanks, Enrique

Not to sure about the CSA but... generally the flywheels have two marks on them: one is TDC and the other is 22 degrees before TDC.

The timing for the 3.0cs is set to 22 degrees before TDC at 1700 rpm and the 3.0csi is set at 2500 rpm. In both cases the vacuum lines on the distributor should be removed and plugged. So, with the timing light at 0 you should see one of the marks (22o) at the specified engine RPM. You should also be able to delay the light by 22o and see the TDC mark at the same RPM.

There are many reasons you may not be able to see the two marks ad different engine speeds (which I've never heard of as a criteria before):
- The flywheel marks my not be correct (match to your documentation)
- Since you are changing engine speed the centrifugal advance is changing and this is highly variable
- You did not specify what you are doing with vacuum advance / retard which also impacts timing.

As for clockwise / counterclockwise I would need to look at my car (not possible today). However, if the dizzy turns clockwise when running then advance is counterclockwise and vice versa.

I hope this helps a bit.

Back