Tips for removing drip rail trim?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was hoping to find a thread with this info but came up empty handed. I’m sure someone wrote something about it but it is buried in the middle of a building thread...

I am removing all my trim in preparation for repaint. I was able to pull about half of the drip rail trim but it gets stuck half way through. I am hesitant to pull too hard in fear that it might bend. Any tips on this one by any chance?

Thank you.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
bending them.upwards a bit helps. Forcing something behind it to pry them off will limit the bend it makes (compared to just pulling), reducing the chance to destroy them.

They are still available through the dealer, about 60 euro's a piece if I'm right.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think they were about 90 euro from W&N, recently bought them. The key is to know the shape.
IMG_1557.JPG

The top hooks on the drip edge and the bottom wraps around this. So pull from below and rotate. Spray WD 40 along the top first.
IMG_1559.JPG

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
You wont cause a problem with light torquing...lube and rotate clockwise, rock gently up and down. This is where mine got stuck pulling it off and also putting it on. You may want to start at the C pillar and move forward. Iteration technique. I am glad to se someone else working in tight quarters like I do.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, after racking my brains trying to find some method of helping the process, I ended up using the tool you use to pull the door panels off. Wrapping duck tape on both sides to protect the chrome, it works reasonably well in helping to pull the bottom off of the rail. It’s not a miracle solution because you still need to use the above mentioned techniques of torquing and pulling gently. But it definitely helps around the tricky areas.

BE4E8900-A7E8-4F46-9FE6-F56B1FBC96E8.jpeg

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, after racking my brains trying to find some method of helping the process, I ended up using the tool you use to pull the door panels off. Wrapping duck tape on both sides to protect the chrome, it works reasonably well in helping to pull the bottom off of the rail. It’s not a miracle solution because you still need to use the above mentioned techniques of torquing and pulling gently. But it definitely helps around the tricky areas.

View attachment 109208
Wow, such courage Bo. I think you are on to something! Best of luck :cool:

Engrip

Reaction score
Hello Bo,
Kooglewerks makes a 3D printed removal/installation tool for the drip edge of a 2002. It is constructed from Nylon using SLS process. Cost - $25.00.

I'll be doing the same thing in the spring in preparation for a body repaint. I might bite the bullet and buy this tool or make my own.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
You need to make sure the drip edge is clean and the paint/primer is not too thick. Also the chrome piece I show in the post above has to be contoured to the inner part of the drip edge. The tool will help you get the trim around on the bottom and spare your fingers but if everything is not perfect, it will pop off from below.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Bo,
Kooglewerks makes a 3D printed removal/installation tool for the drip edge of a 2002. It is constructed from Nylon using SLS process. Cost - $25.00.
I was talking to Forrest about his tool a couple of months ago and he said it was helping installation of the trim but not removal.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You need to make sure the drip edge is clean and the paint/primer is not too thick.
I can definitely see how that would be important. I’ll ask the painter what he would think about possibly masking that edge after he’s got primer and the first coat of color to keep thickness to a minimum.