Tire and wheel sizes and brands

sfcoupe99

Reaction score
Folks,

After a long while of deferring maintenance, I am now getting back to the coupe.

It is time to replace the tires on the coupe my 1973 3.0CS. I have the 20 spoke alloys stamped Alpina 7Jx14H2 with 4 215/60r14s.

I am reluctant to put 4 new 215s on it as I caught a fender lip entering a driveway once. I do that carefully now, and that side has been rolled and touched-up for now.
The previous owner, in his restoration, lowered the car, and put the 215s on it and I am not sure what offset he may have modified it to but I'll find out.

I am basically trying to decide between the 195/70 R14 and 205/60 R14 and the tire brand choice Yokohama AVS ES100 or BFGoodrich Traction T/A H.

Does anyone have any experience with these wheel and tire sizes or brand choices? PS: Snow or wet roads will not likely ever see this car.

Thanks
Mark

I have had good luck with Yokohama, especially the dbs2's. I have also gotten good wear out of AVS's om an M3. I would recommend both tires if available in the sizes you're looking at.

tires and wheel sizes

Glenn,

Thanks for the response. The AVS's look like the best choice. It also looks like the 205s will be the best fit, though the car will be just slightly lower.

Ordered from TireRack. Now it is on to the AC and window motors.

Thanks again,
Mark

A word of caution-re tires and front fenders

Coupes were originally fitted with pre-metric tire sizings--then along came the 195/70-14's metrics as a maximum tire size. With that size I long ago experienced contact of tire with front fender while making a turn and encountering a dip--to all I strongly recommend that the upper section of both front fender lips--an arc of about 90 degrees--be rolled to prevent repeat of that exerience--your choice of tire size will only increase the possibility of repeating the strike.

I long ago followed this advice from a guru of CS's--now with 16" 7-8" staggered Alpina's mounted with optimal sized rubber, Carl Nelson lowering springs with Bilstein HD's--no strikes.

Back