Tire Pressure....Old vs. New Thinking....has it changed much?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I always check all the basics before a drive and after reviewing the owners manual for my E3 the recommended tire pressure was 30 psi Front & 27 Rear. 5-people or more 32 psi Front & 34 Rear. I assume not much different ratio for e9.

That sounds low even for cruising around town. I still have 14" wheels. However they are much lighter than the original steelies now that they are magnesium Cromodora's. With upgraded ST Swaybars up front and rear. Bilstein sport shocks and I believe ST shocks (Carl Nelson Suspension/Lowering Kit). If one was to take the car out on a normal "spirited" drive. What would a good ratio be for the tire pressure with one person in the car (me) 257 lbs (Yes the added lightweight of the e3 vs. e9 helps in my case). I went with 34 psi up front and 33 rear. Does that sound reasonable? Even for an occasional passenger? Thanks for any tips.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think it really depends on what diameter wheel / tire profile ratio ... for instance, the lower profile tires require higher air pressures. for instance on my porsche, the 35 series tires run 37 psi in the front but the 30 series run 42 in the rear (cold)

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good question....who was the idiot that started this here......oh........me. No, no reason other than clicked on wrong heading I guess. Thanks for pointing that out, maybe the powers at be can swap it. Thanks!