tire/wheel?

psychrunner

Reaction score
First of all, I do not have access to my csi (1972) due to it being at a restoration shop 300 miles away. Given that, I can't check tire size, but do know that the wheels presently on the car are the OEM 5 spoke wheel (14 inch). Will whatever tires are on that particular wheel (presently) fit on a 7 x 14 spoked wheel (Alpina type) or will I need to go to the 6 x 14 size wheel if I want to keep present tires? I would like the widest tire as possible on the car, with either the 6x14 or 7 x 14 alpina. Any help appreciated.
psychrunner

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The tires on your 6x14" wheels will work fine on a 7x14" wheel. That said, the 7x14" wheel will allow you to use a wider tire, but the options are slim. You'd be looking at something like a 215/60-14, which is a size that is mostly used by 70's muscle cars. Wide Ovals, anyone? :p

YBNormal

Reaction score
Tire Choices

Just checked the Tire Rack website and there are six choices for size 215/60 x 14 but only two for 225/60 x 14. You could consider a staggered setup with 215's on the front and 225's on the rear, which would work well with the 7 x 14's. There is a B. F. Goodrich TA and better performing Yokohama Avid S/T available in both sizes. The Yoko's are as good as anything in those sizes and also among the cheapest.

Esthetically I think a blackwall with just the Goodyear or Firestone logo in white letters would look great, especially on a Fjord or silver coupe. But only Firestone makes something in those sizes, and the BIG WHITE LETTERS say "Indy 500" and "Firehawk", doesn't do it for me and would be over the top for a car like an E9. Subjective, but that's my kettle of fish.

psychrunner

Reaction score
Thanks......

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. YBNormal.. why use the staggered? Could I not use either the 215's all the way around (or the 225's for that matter)?
Thanks
psychrunner

YBNormal

Reaction score
To stagger or not?

In my case, being a borderline dysfunctional "Square Peg" is reason enough, not to mention a misspent youth hot rodding in the 60's. I am installing Carl Nelson's lowering springs, and anticipate less problems with front fender clearance with the 215's. I will run 30-32 PSI in the front and 24-25 PSI rear to reduce understeer and help get the power to the ground, as the coupes are somewhat nose-heavy. Back when it was running (mediocre stock engine) it would spin the rear tires with ease on normal take-offs, though mostly because they were old and nearly petrified from years of Nevada heat.

But the same size all around would look better with stock springs since the front sits a bit high. I would suggest the 225's, as they are almost identical in diameter to the 195/70's, the 215's being about 1/2" smaller.

psychrunner

Reaction score
thanks

I also ordered Carl's "suspension kit" which I assume includes the lowering springs. Would what is on the car now be 195/60-14's or 195/70-14's? So, I could stick with the same tires it sounds like with the either 7 x 14's or the 6 x 14's. Would a 7 x 15 work on the car (with different tires) and is there a Alpina like wheel in that size?
Thanks
Randy