Tony's dueling batteries idea

corsachili

Reaction score
I heard about this from someone at the PA Concours last week (Shawn? Kurt?). Tony has an idea to mount dual motorcycle batteries (in parallel?) in the back to save weight and space? I've seen some pretty cool gelcel (or something) motorcycle batteries that are very compact and also very light, but I don't recall the brand.

Tony, please share with us this idea. I'm in the process of designing/fabricating a rear battery tray for the "other CSL" and I'd love to try this if feasible.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My plan is two 6v Optimas in series mounted under the rear seats. Low and inside the wheels for CoG improvement, and it won't take up space in the all-ready small e9 trunk.

There are some even smaller batteries like Hawker and Odyssey. I might check those out too.

corsachili

Reaction score
Actually I didn't know Optima made 6v batteries so I was thinking in parallel. Doesn't that give you more amps for cranking?

I like the idea of them under the rear seats............lowers the polar moment as well. = )

Philip Slate

Reaction score
I'll make my usual comment about the Odyssey battery in TBL. It's 12VDC with plenty of cranking power and is not much bigger than a motorcycle battery and can't weigh more than 3 or 4 pounds, may be 5.

lloyd

Reaction score
back seat batteries

I believe some 911 models ran 2 smaller batteries behind the front valence panels (in front of the front wheels). Had an Audi with a back seat battery. Seem to recall once providing jumper cables to a coupe owner who ran two "Hawk" batteries under the rear seats. I remember this because he referred to the batteries as helicopter batteries. Think they were both small 12volt batteries.