Transmission conversion

rkodner

Reaction score
This is probably a very foolish question but . . . curiousity overwhelms so I'll ask it anyway. I have a '74 E9 automatic. Much better driver than I thought it would be with an autobox but now I wonder if an automatic-to-manual conversion is possible. Is it? Ever heard of anyone surviving one successfully?

Regards,
Ross

these are done very often, it's pretty easy and straight forward to do. usually one replaces the auto box with a 5-speed manual instead of the stock 4-speed. the auto box is junk and, in these cars, they never last very long.

It's been done so many times it's incredible. The hardest part is finding the pedal cluster (although I've heard E3s share the same part) and a good 265 gearbox.

Removing the automatic gearbox is kind of a bitch. I just did it a few weeks ago for the first time. The article referenced above covers just about everything you need. Carl did a great job with it and is a good source for parts if you're unwilling or incapable of hunting them down yourself.

The 3 liter motor in these cars is so sweet that it's a true shame to hold it back with a slushbox tranny, but that's just my opinion. I've never met anyone that converted to a 5spd and didn't love it.

There's been volumes written about this subject, and virtually everyone that does it has trepidation at the beginning and is ecstatic at the end.

Just do it....................your CS deserves it.

Back