Transmission Issue

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Being able to get my car in reverse gear has slowly deteriorated over time and recently has quit going into reverse at all. I have a Getrag 265 OD transmission that shifts smoothly in all other gears but reverse. Has anyone out there experienced similiar problems getting into reverse and what was done to fix it. I always thought 1st and 2nd gear were the first to go on these transmissions.

thanks,

Walt

Honolulu

Reaction score
hmmm

we need to know - and you need to verify - that the shifter mounts are all in good shape. The mounts are at ten and two o'clock positions at the back of the bell housing, or at the forward end of the shifter platform, if you prefer to see it that way. The mounts have a rubber bushing in them, that deteriorates with age and the whole shifter platform kinda wobbles.

So... is the shifter platform securely mounted and does it not wobble when you fist the shifter?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
RE the 265 OD transmission

after verifying that the shifter mounts Honolulu has indicated are in good shape and correctly aligned.

ALWAYS with the Getrag 265--before attempting to shift into reverse--clear the gears by going to first gear preferably--second will also work--before attempting to go into reverse. If this had been ignored by a previous or present owner by going directly into reverse from any other forward gear--over time the gear crunches resulting may have damaged your gear set.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gents, thanks for the reply. I'll check out the shifter platform this weekend. I routinely row through first, sometimes first and second, before I put it into reverse. I can't say I did it everytime, but definitely more often than not. I've only had the car in my possession for about a year and that includes seven months when I was away and did not drive it, so I don't think it was my ham-handedness that was responsible for the deterioration. :roll:

-Walt

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used an additive called activ8 on old gearboxes with fairly impressive results in the past.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Reverse gear has no syncro, so it would either be a linkage problem or a clutch disengagement problem, which would probably show up in other gears too.