Treatment of Die Cast parts

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anybody out there know how to brighten up zinc and aluminum die cast parts such as the door latchs, trunk latch, etc? Any CE's out there know, I have tried a couple of things that have just turned them black. Parts are too complex to polish easily.
Thanks.

die-cast parts--how to brighten?

die-cast parts will not "brighten" or polish to luster as chromed steel, chromed die-cast or anodized aluminum parts will--however chemical treatment is not recommended other than for degreasing.

Have had good results with the following:
1) clean all old lube from parts by brief time in hot tank or de-greasing tank--or if by hand with carb cleaner or regular mineral spirits--aid hand cleaning by vigorous brushing with small stiff nylon brush
2) then hand polish clean surface with bronze wool--first with coarse wool and finish with fine
3) tedious process but end result will appear to be die-cast fresh from the factory.

BTW--fine bronze wool is also excellent for polishing my brass duck head on my cane and for cleaning aluminum parts on or off the car as it effectively removes tarnish, dirt, etc. and doesn't scratch

it may not be easy to find bronze wool in Colorado--used by boat owners and sailors here for polishing wood and chromed metal parts. I get it locally here in SoCal at: Crown (Ace) Hardware 1024 Irvine Ave, Newport Beach, CA 92660 in the Westcliff Shopping Center 949-642-1133

Vibratory Tumblers

The Eastwood Company sells vibrating tumblers, basically a tool that shakes a plastic bowl containing parts and either a cleaning or polishing media. Think of it as a very low key kind of blasting.

It took a little experimentation, but I've used the more aggressive media with Simple Green cleaner to clean a bunch of rusty, greasy hardware and small brackets and was really impressed with how shiny everything came out.

The noise and vibration are kind of annoying, but I finally just left it running overnight.

Look here: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=440&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=439&iSubCat=440

Back