Triple Weber DCOE fuel injection project - anyone?

DennisLJacob

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to install the DCOE Weber style fuel injection systems? One of my favorite memories is a friend’s 2800 CS with triple Webers. The sound and performance was incredible. So, I’m wondering what it would take to convert a intake system to one of the ITB fuel injection systems. Jenvey has a DCOE conversion in their Heritage line up. If I’m going to switch from twin carbs to FI why not one of these systems. If I need to use an independent ECU does it matter what the injection system is?

These systems are rumored to produce impressive performance. I’m very curious. Has someone already installed and configured one these systems?

First of all you should talk to your local dyno/tuning shops and see if you can find someone who is experienced with aftermarket ITBs, and they will tell you what ECUs and other stuff they're comfortable with.
Making a plan from the very beginning with the one who's going to tune it later is the easiest route and you'll avoid some unexpected problems.

Remember its more than an intake system - You need a different fuel pump, and a return fuel line. And if you want to go with one of the BMW in tank pumps, I think you need a different gas tank.

And an injected system designed to look like Webers won't produce the induction noise you get from carbs. You mention this is something you like; you should listen to a car with this type of fuel injection setup to see if it mimicks the sound of carbs (which I doubt).

an injected system designed to look like Webers won't produce the induction noise

I think it might make Weber noises to a degree. My GTV has MFI with individual throttle bodies, like the new Weber-look EFI systems. When I removed the stock intake and put on KN filters (called Quadraflow by Shankle)., it sure sounds to me like DCOE’s with stacks .

Remember its more than an intake system - You need a different fuel pump, and a return fuel line. And if you want to go with one of the BMW in tank pumps, I think you need a different gas tank.

And an injected system designed to look like Webers won't produce the induction noise you get from carbs. You mention this is something you like; you should listen to a car with this type of fuel injection setup to see if it mimicks the sound of carbs (which I doubt).
don't need a different gas tank, need a different pickup = one from the '91 318is (i believe) ... it has a dual pipe - one for supply / one for return

There is a guy that comes to the Vintage in NC with a E24 6 series car that has done a great job of this.
I'll try to get his name from the E24 guys.
This is something I considered doing until I got on the period correct hot rod motif. Webers all the way.
Gary

I need to go with some sort of FI. I travel from 5k ft to 7k and down to sea level for any of my scenic trips. Carburators are just not cut out for those large changes. So all of the gas tank/fuel pump and lines will need to be done anyway. The question is whether to try to convert to the 40 year old BMW system or something modern. I'll need an aftermarket ECU no matter also. But I hate being the guinea pig and trail blazer. That usually means wasted dollars trying to figure things out. I'll have to start a list of things required. I was hoping someone else has or had already gone down this path before. I could follow in their footsteps without making rookie mistakes.

I found the guy and an article about his E24 M30 motor with ITB.
There's a lot to see here and not much of a write-up so you need to look and understand what is going on.
Cool story about the oiling of the rocker arms on the M30 motor. A perpetual problem for the performance guys.
I did see a Hall effect sensor for the motor with the ITB.
This might be a Megasquirt setup but did not see that.
This motor is pretty far out, even more than mine. Over 300 hp at the crank. Not easy for an M30 without a turbo.

Enjoy,
Gary

Company in OZ makes these, and IIRC come complete with management system and harness. They look dead nuts on like Webers. IIRC they were in the neighborhood of $10K???? I wonder what the Jenvey prices out at for a complete system and if the OZ people are out in OZ

Last edited:
m5bb, that does not look simple. Youza!! That's way more involved than I care to dare. I can see $10k if not more in everything he did. Time alone looks crazy. Maybe dealing with my Webers at different elevations isn't so much of a chore!

“I travel from 5k ft to 7k and down to sea level for any of my scenic trips. Carburators are just not cut out for those large changes.”

Dennis
I don’t mean to be snarky, but back in the day all manner of crude carbureted cars were driven over a wide range of altitudes, and they worked “fine”. Where I grew up, going out for a picnic lunch could involve an altitude gain of 4-5000ft, and from our junkiest straight six Nova to my buddy’s 2800, all cars sold in the 1950-1970’s could do this without issues. So, while carbs are not optimal, I’d argue that when setup properly on a engine in good condition, your E9 will be fine.

My first E3 had a stroker (3.2) motor and triple 40DCOE’s. One year I drove it from sea level to 5500ft, and then for the next week we drove it up to 10000 ft for sight seeing. The car ran great with no changes to the jetting/setup, but was way down on power at 10,000ft (so were all the other non-turbo cars). So, carbs are not a limiting factor for what you want to do.

You said you don’t want to be a trailblazer. I’d suggest:

Cheap: go with your desire and do DCOE’s. We’ve seen nice setups sell here for $1500 or less.

Best value: I would go with the proven, documented,and cost effective solution, BMW production EFI (Motronic).

befog, you're not being snarky - at all. I'm asking for opinions, so feel free to express them. Think of "if this was my car" what would I do. I've got a set of intake manifolds for a triple weber setup just in case I consider going down that road. I was just thinking if some of these new kits are as effective as they look.

Back