Troubleshooting starter/switch

chicane

Reaction score
I need to isolate a problem between the starter and the starter switch. Which pole on the starter solenoid would I use to hotwire between the starter and the battery? What gauge wire is safe to do that with?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
You are going to want a very thick wire to use, I'd suggest a bit of 10 or 12 gauge and some gloves, and even then, just for very short bursts. Bolt it to the solenoid post first, then tap it to the battery for testing purposes.

Are you testing starter solenoid function or starter function as your starting point?

chicane

Reaction score
You are going to want a very thick wire to use, I'd suggest a bit of 10 or 12 gauge and some gloves, and even then, just for very short bursts. Bolt it to the solenoid post first, then tap it to the battery for testing purposes.

Are you testing starter solenoid function or starter function as your starting point?

Thanks for the tips I didn't want to shock myself or start a fire. I am assuming bolt it to the large post on the solenoid? I want to test the starter AND solenoid I want to turn over the car. I might have an issue with the starter switch and/or the starter motor.

Stefan

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips I didn't want to shock myself or start a fire. I am assuming bolt it to the large post on the solenoid? I want to test the starter AND solenoid I want to turn over the car. I might have an issue with the starter switch and/or the starter motor.

The starter switch is a poor design. The bottom part (electrical) could separate from the key ignition part (mechanical) due to design. The solenoid and starter motor will run for "ever" at normal usage.

chicane

Reaction score
The starter switch is a poor design. The bottom part (electrical) could separate from the key ignition part (mechanical) due to design. The solenoid and starter motor will run for "ever" at normal usage.

True but I think my problem might be a short between the starter and switch or maybe a grounding issue. Which pole to I connect the cable to on the starter to crank it?

x_atlas0

Reaction score

That's the rub, I don't remember, and the car is a good 1200 miles away, back in Atlanta. You should be able to check a wiring diagram and it will tell you. Attach your test wire to the connection that isn't grounded, as the solenoid works off a voltage difference. (well...and a current flow, but hey, you have to have a voltage for current to go, right? :mrgreen:)