Trunk Keys

ggus

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am finally starting to work on my E9 and I am having problems opening my trunk. I have 3 keys, I read the owners manual and it says that the car should only have 2 keys. So I have three different keys each number differently. The trunk lock is in the horizontal position so I can push the lock in freely but cannot turn it. I have tried all 3 keys with no luck and have even cleaned the little holes. Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced,

Gus

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gus,

Check out the thread below. It'll give you some insight as to how the lock works. The horizontal position is the locked position as you have figured out. The key (if it is the correct key) isn't turning the lock because the tumbler pins aren't aligning with the tumbler. The mechanism is likely gummed up. I would try some acetone (try not to get it on the paint) to try and dissolve the old gummed up grease/oil, or go straight to some lubricating oil sparyed into the lock.

Some people report that trying many, many times will resolve it. I think the springs eventually prevail and push the pins to the correct position. I would try to tap/bang on the lock as you try to turn the key to encourage the pins to slide.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14792&highlight=lock

ggus

Reaction score
Thanks!

Gus,

Check out the thread below. It'll give you some insight as to how the lock works. The horizontal position is the locked position as you have figured out. The key (if it is the correct key) isn't turning the lock because the tumbler pins aren't aligning with the tumbler. The mechanism is likely gummed up. I would try some acetone (try not to get it on the paint) to try and dissolve the old gummed up grease/oil, or go straight to some lubricating oil sparyed into the lock.

Some people report that trying many, many times will resolve it. I think the springs eventually prevail and push the pins to the correct position. I would try to tap/bang on the lock as you try to turn the key to encourage the pins to slide.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14792&highlight=lock