Trunk lock is struck!

Kent

Site Donor
Reaction score
The trunk lock on my coupe is in the open key position (vertical) but the button is struck half way in and will not open. I can assert the key, but it will not move. I read from a previous thread that drilling a hole from the rear seat area and working on the latch from the hole is one solution. Before I get out the drill, does anyone else have an alternative solution?
Thanks for looking..........Kent in Carmichael

Kent

Site Donor
Reaction score
The trunk lock on my coupe is in the open key position (vertical) but the button is struck half way in and will not open. I can assert the key, but it will not move. I read from a previous thread that drilling a hole from the rear seat area and working on the latch from the hole is one solution. Before I get out the drill, does anyone else have an alternative solution?
Thanks for looking..........Kent in Carmichael

Malc

Reaction score
Lots of WD40
Try and squirt some into the lock while inserting and removing the key
After a while slightly twist the key and try to pull/push the lock in and out

Malc

Reaction score
Lots of WD40
Try and squirt some into the lock while inserting and removing the key
After a while slightly twist the key and try to pull/push the lock in and out

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At the yard we put a flat head screw driver in the keyhole and pop it once with a hammer. Bmw's are famous for having easy trunks to open.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At the yard we put a flat head screw driver in the keyhole and pop it once with a hammer. Bmw's are famous for having easy trunks to open.

Kent

Site Donor
Reaction score
To Malc and sfdon,

Thank you for your responses. I tried Malc's advice first, except I used Slick 50, and after fiddling around with the lock, it opened. I'm glad I didn't need to use the hammer and screw driver.

Thank you again,

Kent

Kent

Site Donor
Reaction score
To Malc and sfdon,

Thank you for your responses. I tried Malc's advice first, except I used Slick 50, and after fiddling around with the lock, it opened. I'm glad I didn't need to use the hammer and screw driver.

Thank you again,

Kent

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have some lock lubricant at home made by Silca - it is poder graphite type stuff and works wonders on locks. I have often found locks stiff and putting this in and exercising has made them function perfectly again.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have some lock lubricant at home made by Silca - it is poder graphite type stuff and works wonders on locks. I have often found locks stiff and putting this in and exercising has made them function perfectly again.

Honolulu

Reaction score
sveet jzus

you used Slick 50? on a coupe?! Jeezus Christ on the bleedin' cross! For Shame!

go wash your hands and mouth with some strong soap and NEVER mention that sh*t here again! ;)

At Oktoberfest '95 I ran across a guy trying to prepare for the clean car contest, but all his stuff was in the trunk, which wouldn't open. I was in the company of a old-time bimmer wrench, who advised him to simply mess with the key over and over until it worked. He did and the trunk opened. Shoulda seen there relief on the guy's face.

The locking arm or tang or whatchacallit can rotate away to the point that when you push the button, it doesn't unlock.

Honolulu

Reaction score
sveet jzus

you used Slick 50? on a coupe?! Jeezus Christ on the bleedin' cross! For Shame!

go wash your hands and mouth with some strong soap and NEVER mention that sh*t here again! ;)

At Oktoberfest '95 I ran across a guy trying to prepare for the clean car contest, but all his stuff was in the trunk, which wouldn't open. I was in the company of a old-time bimmer wrench, who advised him to simply mess with the key over and over until it worked. He did and the trunk opened. Shoulda seen there relief on the guy's face.

The locking arm or tang or whatchacallit can rotate away to the point that when you push the button, it doesn't unlock.

Kent

Site Donor
Reaction score
To 30csl and Honolulu,

30csl, I tried the powdered graphite for a quick fix, but no such luck. The lock still sticks. I'll take it apart.

Honolulu, I didn't know that Slick 50 had such a bad reputation. My garage door guy swears by it, especially compared to WD40.

Kent

Kent

Site Donor
Reaction score
To 30csl and Honolulu,

30csl, I tried the powdered graphite for a quick fix, but no such luck. The lock still sticks. I'll take it apart.

Honolulu, I didn't know that Slick 50 had such a bad reputation. My garage door guy swears by it, especially compared to WD40.

Kent