Trunk Wiring Removal

SkiFast

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Site Donor
Reaction score
I decided to go for a dip over media blasting. So now attempting to remove all nuts, bolts, and wiring.

Problem 1: My main obstacle is a bracket between the wheel well and frame next to the driver side rear window (very small). I get I will need to unravel the fabric wrap (whatchamacallit), but with so much wiring going to the taillights, I’m guessing I’ll have to separate wires at the connectors?

Problem 2: Is there a place that sells new wiring kits? If not, I’ll make my own, but I’ll need to replace the whatchamacallit fabric wrap with whatshouditbe?

Opinions: I have a 71’ Euro 3.0 CS. The previous owner was turning it into a CSI. He went as far as to weld a formed cover over the rear fog light opening. Personally, I like the rear fog light, so I was thinking of re-fabricating it back to the original opening. As much as I like symmetry, I like the Euro look. Any strong opinions?

A pic to the trunk wiring

Attachments

• Taillight wiring.jpg
    Taillight wiring.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 132
It should fit in that opening, just go slow. Home Depot has 3M electrical tape which is a cloth tape which works well, other tapes are a bit wide.

It should fit in that opening, just go slow. Home Depot has 3M electrical tape which is a cloth tape which works well, other tapes are a bit wide.
z Z
Thanks. Did you keep your original wiring, make a new harness, or does anyone sell pre-made harnesses (EZ Harness?)?

It all fits. The only thing I couldn’t fit through that hole was the d-jet fuel pump plug. Your car doesn’t have that plug. You shouldn’t need to unravel the looms but any bundles of looms will need to be separated.

It all fits. The only thing I couldn’t fit through that hole was the d-jet fuel pump plug. Your car doesn’t have that plug. You shouldn’t need to unravel the looms but any bundles of looms will need to be separated.
I had a plastic fitting (pre-truck) that kept getting stuck. I put the project away a few days to see if the change in weather would make a difference, or a miracle, or my persepctive

Back