Trying to figure out the gear ratio on my 1973 3.0CS

Reaction score
On my differential the marking are a sideways 2 under the oil filler plug then a then a 3 below and to the left . under that is 11 and to the right a 0 . I can't find the white paint of an LSD but when I take of in loose sand on the side of the road the right side starts spinning and then the left side kicks in to catch the traction the right side is loosing which to me would make it an LSD rear . Any thoughts ?

Steve here is the photo of the differential

Attachments

• BMW 3.0CS rearend.jpg
    BMW 3.0CS rearend.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 34
Based on the data I have, there were two difs for the e9 with a 11 tooth pinion gear. If the driven gear has 38 teeth, the dif would be a 3.45 dif. If the driven gear has 40 teeth, you've got a 3:64. Given the zero you can see, I conclude the missing digit is a 4, giving you 11:40 and you have 3:64 dif.

I took another look and with a magnifying glass and a bright light there is a 4 stamped next to the zero at about half the size of the zero and not stamped very deep. Based on how I described how it is upon take-off would you think its LSD or do I need to jack it off the ground to confirm by rotating one side and see if the other side goes in the same direction ? Thanks for the input

Back