Turn signal switch options?

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Both my turn signal and high beam switches are beat.

When searching for replacements, are there any others, like for the 2002 or Bavaria that will fit?

My car is less than original so I could accept a few differences. Car is an early 2800cs.

thanks

61porsche

Reaction score
Substitute switches

2002 or TI had a turn signal switch with the washer control that looks identical. Early bigcoupes had a similar switch but the wiper markings were a bit different; if that doesn't matter- they look to mount the same.

Evilbay.

Before you trash them- the backing on the switch and the fore movement makes it loose or flex just like the ignition switch. Try tightening up the little lugs or a drop or two of 5 minute epoxy. Worked for me. ( It was a fairly new switch- 6mos.)

To see if that's it- just press on the back of the switch and operate.

I guess you could epoxy another piece on the exisiting to stiffen the back or place a shim between it and the small lamp housing.

Hope this helps.

There's a Porche guy near Philly that rebuilds some electrics- Joe Leoni. I can pm you his info if you want.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Turn Signal Switch

On my '72 CS the turn signal switch failed, as did a second-hand replacement, and I didn't like the high/low beam switch function (up/down rather than towards and away from the wheel) also I prefer the wiper controls all up on the control stalks, so I rewired with 73 onwards switches from an E3 I used for spare parts. I believe the part numbers are the same as 73 onwards coupes. I expect good quality second-hand ones can still be found. It's possible to do the wiring into the various CS plugs without cutting or changing the main loom.

The result is that the switches' operation is the same as later (E28 is as new as I get) BMWs and current European cars. (left hand is turn signal and high/low; right hand is wiper on/off, wash and speed selection) The later switches also feel more robust to me. I drive the coupe infrequently, so it helps to have the controls work like my everyday car.

Because the job took a couple of days to work out and do, I wrote it up, however on rereading over a year later, I realise it needs clarifying. I just happen to have a pair of brand new switches I'm about to fit, sometime, so will add some photos.