Turn signals and flasher don't work when headlights are turned on

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
During daylight, my turn signals / blinkers and emergency flasher work just as expected.

But I noticed that, at night (or in the fog) as soon as I pull the headlights switch on, even just in the first position, the turn signal/flasher lights come on solid and stay on. Activating the turn signal stoalk or pressing the flasher light don’t do anything anymore.

Search on the forum seem to bring up the issue of the 2 wires (in addition to the ground) that go into the front turn signal assembly but without definitive conclusion on how it might affect this issue. My wiring diagram shows only one wire (blue-red on LF, blue-black on RT) going to the turn signals. On top of that, the bulb itself only has one contact at the bottom and it seems to bridge the 2 pins of the bulb holder. So it should not matter which wire goes to which spade.

Does anyone know what would cause the headlight switch to kill the flashing action?

During daylight, my turn signals / blinkers and emergency flasher work just as expected. But I noticed that, at night (or in the fog) as soon as I pull the headlights switch on, even just in the first position
One of your tail or parking light light housings may not be well grounded. If that's the case, the turn signals have to find a path to ground through the housing and back through parking, back-up or brake light circuits. But with the parking lights on, that path to ground goes away and at least one corner of your car no longer has an operable turn signal bulb. The loss of the amperage from that disabled bulb through the flasher stops it from flashing.

Try jumpering each of the four light housings to a good ground while the e-flasher and parking lights are on, and see if that changes things.

Back