UK csl for sale - 2285293

RobHannett

Reaction score
I think you're right about the sunroof, which would be unusual. It looks a decent example, but it's hard to tell from those pics how much work might lie beneath. What do you reckon to the estimate price? I'd have thought a little bit higher. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Rob,

I reckon the estimate is a bit light in view of recent sales but it will be interesting to see what it goes for. The inner wings look ok and id say its a nice one but it could well be rotten! Id like to go see it but am tied up!

Regards,

Rohan

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Appraiser for that CSL on auction?

Rohan, etal,

I was thinking of bidding on this one.

A UK friend who suggested I call "Munich Legends" to see if they would do an inspection/valuation of this car on Monday.

Do you know of this company and are they capable of evaluating a CSL?

John

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi John,

they have sold a lot of csls and restored or sub contracted out the restoration of a lot of csls. They are capable but are probably expensive. There are others around who could also do it. I think there have been changes at ML recently too so not sure who is in charge anymore.

Gary at Autobahn Services in Rickmansworth has restored a CSi to immaculate condition so would also be capable.

Its a pity I am busy or I would have been more than willing to run over and take a look for you.

Regards,

Rohan

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
The best of three worlds! RHD, VINYL ROOF, and (can you say) a WEBASTO sunroof (really more like a giant hole which ruins what little structural integrity there is in the roof...covered by a GIANT square of often ill-fitting multi-layered canvas/vinylish stuff. BUT ... you can have a WEBASTO-ized CSL !!! BE the only one on the internet with a WEBASTO-ized CSL!

Damn shame.

8-15k GBP? pfft

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know of at least one other here in the Uk with a Webasto roof so it wouldn't be that exclusive a club.

timt

Reaction score
2285293 RHD CSL - Sold Auction 02 June

I went to both the auction last night and a pre-view on Monday. Update for those interested and anyone who trips over the car if for sale again in the near future.

Hammer price (ie, before commissions) was £10,200 UKP or approx $14,900 USD - one bidder, not me! Went with a friend who was considering but on reflection after the pre-view decided to view only.

The car looked respectable and "honest", probably original paint with a few areas touched up and some small dents but no obvious serious external rust until examined more closely. Engine number not verified but claimed as original - no obvious reason to dispute. All alloy panels present. Interior was generally good except for carpets (very faded) and dash finger rail. Front seats had centres reupholstered but too tight so gaps to the side bolsters. Floor panels and under rear seats good (a few light surface rust patches on the floor) up to drivers footwell - daylight! Road dirt entering rear at rear axle beam end mount so where else was it going and at what penalty? Webasto sunroof tight and working, no obvious leaks. Period vinyl roof tight and no tears. Car had been standing in a private "collection" since mid 1980s and not run - no MOT. "Commissioned" for sale - battery charge/replaced (not new), oil?, and it was fired up on request; sounded OK! But, water not circulating - radiator looked hammered but pump quiet! Brake cylinders "overhauled" but servos likely to be shot. Bumpers re-chromed and looked almost new!

Fibreglass patching - on boot/trunk behind both wheel arches extending all the way down the valance on one side, in one of front arches; no stop plates in front arches exposing front of cill openings, daylight through one of the front inner/outer wing/fender joints. Knock the cill panels and rust flakes dropped out through the drain gaps - from inside the car the cill faces looked "passable".

So, superficially an OK project car that would need some work to turn into a runner? Probably - certainly required work to pass an MOT. Difficulty was determining how bad - the cills were possibly shot, but not certain, and the A-posts likely suspect, inner/outer wing/fender joints need attention with possibly/probably much more in that area. Had the front wings/fenders been replaced? They looked almost too good externally but there were no tell tales to suggest replacement although the "tiger" stripes on one side were not original so something had been done there!

A lot of interest shown before sale but bidders hands in pockets suggested most were wary to commit - once torn down how big would the hole be? As a base tub with an almost complete good interior, a good base at a price only a buyer can decide as acceptable or not.

Probably only half the cars sold - some would have been bargains and some were as mainly sold close to the bottom of the guide price range - a very nice part restored, but complete and running, Ferrari 308 GT4 went for £12,000 UKP. Hmm. At the other end of the scale a Blower Bentley for £600,000 UKP; so some could afford but most were being careful.

RobHannett

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Tim, and the comprehensive review. I was away last week and was keen to find out what this had fetched. I thought the guide price was a bit low, but considering what you listed, maybe not.

Ash

Reaction score
I was recently offered this car by a dealer for £28k!!

As values increase for these cars alot of people are going to get bitten when buying.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know of at least one other here in the Uk with a Webasto roof so it wouldn't be that exclusive a club.

Can't be a "club" unless there's at least two!

Motorhead

Reaction score
off to Melbourne?

'H&H were once again offering clients the facilty to bid live at their sale last Wedesday via i-bidder.com. Historics at Brooklands did the same in their recent sale. Indeed, bidders from 15 different countries reportedly registered bids during the Historics inaugural with a 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL selling on-line for £11,550 with premium to a customer some 10,520 miles away from the Brooklands Museum site in Melbourne, Australia.'

The above is a commentary on the Historics auction from one of the classic car websites...sounds like this CSL is going down under. Anyone on here buy it?