Ummmmmmm............Doug?

I feel so used.

Yeah that's my car.

I don't know whether to be pleased or pissed since they didn't seek my permission to use it. Hell, you took the picture - is that an infringement on your copyright ? On the other hand it's a pretty glowing assessment of the e9 as a classic design.

This sort of thing is what I warn my kids about - never post anything that you can't live with as public domain. Facebook and what gets posted on it is frighteningly naive.

How did you find the site?

I agree. I'm more amused than anything else. Frankly I think it's funny as hell. Technically I think it does infringe on the unwritten law of copyright on the web, but since I don't call out specifically, "please feel free to contact me if you want to republish any of the images on this site" I don't think I have much to complain about.

Local Coupe denizen PJ sent me the link, I've no idea how he found it.

BTW-I love what you've done with your car, making the rear dog-friendly and all. Corsa and Godiva thoroughly approve. I don't think I told you this, but when I first brought that car home Corsa was only about 6 months old. Chela dropped me off at the previous owner's house and Corsa stayed with me. That sunny California Spring day I remember driving home in my CS, windows down, with my beautiful Labrador puppy in the back seat. When we got home he just sat in the back for an hour or so, I couldn't get him out. I think there's a picture on the website of that, it always makes me smile.

Follow up:

I just received a very nice email from Jurgen Rott, presumably the webmaster (or owner) of 2-shores classics. He apologized if either I or Doug were offended by his usage of my image, (Doug's car) on the website. I told him that I had no problems with it at all, and that I didn't think you did either Doug. He asked me to explicitly forward his email to me, to you Doug, and I will do. It's an interesting copyright question though. The image is mine, but the car is now yours. I assume that means that I have the copyright to that image, so even if you did care Doug, I don't think you'd have a claim. I'll ask our general counsel as stuff like this always fascinates me. Anyway, Doug, I hope I didn't overstep my bounds by telling him I didn't think you minded.

Here's his email to me:

Dear Sir,

I noticed on the E9 discussion forum that some conversation about me using your cars picture as a reference to E9 Coupes on my website took place.

I apologize if that offends you and I will have that picture removed immediately if you want me to. I remember I found it some place in the Internet when I was googling E9 cars. As you probably saw, it is just used as a reference.

I congratulate you to the car, it looks great. Btw, I am also owning a 3.0 CSI. One picture attached to this mail.

Please let me know if you want to have it removed and it will be done immediately.
I would welcome if you clarify with me soon.

Sincerely,
Jurgen Rott
ph: +49-5691-912460
fax:+49-5691-912480
email: [email protected]
www.2-shores-classics.com

And then:

Dear Sir,

I noticed on the E9 discussion forum that some conversation about me using your cars picture as a reference to E9 Coupes on my website took place.

I apologize if that offends you and I will have that picture removed immediately if you want me to. I remember I found it some place in the Internet when I was googling E9 cars. As you probably saw, it is just used as a reference.

I congratulate you to the car, it looks great. Btw, I am also owning a 3.0 CSI. One picture attached to this mail.

Please let me know if you want to have it removed and it will be done immediately.
I would welcome if you clarify with me soon.

Sincerely,
Jurgen Rott

Thanks TJ - no I don't have any issue just surprised. I sent Jurgen an email and copied you on it. I just checked the link and it's been changed!!!!!! So much for our 15 minutes of fame, eh?

Postscript : I also suggested he join the forum. He would bring an interesting perspective to the whole value thing.

Sheila and I are doing our first empty nest'er road trip to Vancouver Island now that both girls are in university so the rear seat delete for our senior dog seemed appropriate. We were going to head down the Pacific coast to see how far we could get in 10 days but I lost my passport somewhere on the return leg of a marathon day bringing a 1976 2002 back from Portland.

Maybe next year.

Doug

Crap, I should have kept my mouth shut ,Huh?

PJ
73 csi Chamonix
87 325is (track)
95 M3 Dakar Yellow (Street & Track)

Back