Underhood foam appearance

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm giving up hope of finding an underhood foam set for my E3. It's not available in the US or Europe. Can someone please take some photos of new/fresh foam on your coupe so I can see the appearance and try to source raw material to cut my own. Shots of the sides to see the cross section and of the front would be great. Thanks!

Bwana

Reaction score
e3 correct? I just bought a full set of hood foam for my e9 from the dealer. I assume you've tried there?

pamp

Reaction score
Bonnet

I made my own using Dynaliner / Dynamat material....1/4'' The process was this....First I stuck up a sheet of heavy mil plastic using that black sticky window caulk that comes in a roll from the hardware store....handy stuff. Traced the contours to the plastic and glued this to heavy cardboard using 3M super 77 spray adhesive as to make templates, fine tuned the rough trace with a straight edge and compass and cut the cardboard. Then cut the pieces. Sprayed the foam with bumper paint "Honda black" to knock out the factory logo from the material....turned out nice....yes?

Attachments

• 100_2177.jpg
    100_2177.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 186

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here are pics of my insulation I bought from Penske or Max I forgot which:

Grey-ish with some sparkle when lights hit it:
IMG-20130304-00289.jpg

15mm thick (only a portion shows because it recesses into the hood panel):
IMG-20130304-00294.jpg

24 x 11.5cm cutout (rounded at top) for fan blade clearance:
IMG-20130304-00295.jpg

Closeup:
IMG-20130304-00290.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It does kind of look like the foam you used for the heater and the tool box.

However, it looks similar, but how squishy (for lack of a better term) is that foam? The underhood stuff is pretty firm/dense and takes some effort to indent. It appears the foam you used is pretty soft and pliable or no? How dense is the foam(s) you used?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
It does kind of look like the foam you used for the heater and the tool box.

However, it looks similar, but how squishy (for lack of a better term) is that foam? The underhood stuff is pretty firm/dense and takes some effort to indent. It appears the foam you used is pretty soft and pliable or no? How dense is the foam(s) you used?
The thicker sheets, such as the one behind the heater box, are pretty firm. How thick is your underhood foam? EDIT: Never mind, I just saw in your picture that it appear to be about 1.5 cms.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the thickness of the foam and diameter of fan. Mine came with the cutout and with the fan upgrade which is larger than the old 5 blader it would be very close.

To do the fan cut out is not necessary....see my pic?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I sent you a PM. I made templates for my E3 and after calling, sent them to Classic 9 leather shop. I love what I got back, fits perfectly. They should now have the ability to do other E3's upon request. Under 100 bucks.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Underhood foam.

Hi:
From what I researched Maximillian Imports has the foam for an E3 for under $50.
Koopman

61porsche

Reaction score
Try

Grainger industrial supply for those industrious owners. Multiple options and materials.( density) Bet they have a match to the firewall material too.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Luis, just saw your PM and returned a PM. I cannot post images so can send via e-mail to you. I found some nice pics which I actually also sent to Bob Budd last summer. Suprised he forgot. He has the E3 Templates as he never sent them back to me.