Unobtainable plastic parts

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I have been reproducing small batches of obsolete parts for other marques for years and am wondering if there are any pieces particularly hard to find new for E9 Coupes?
This is something that is a bit of a hobby/small business for me and I am always looking for new challenges.

David

whalem6

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
plastic

Yes the sun visor main supports and the little plastic clips that hold them in place. Some improvements would be worth more if they don't crack and break. The little chromed plastic cups in the vent window handle. Maybe even some ac vent covers. They are hard not to crack during service to the console area. Thanks, Tom

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
There are 2 plastic plates that go underneath the head rest...sometimes in chrome others in black. These are flat and measures about 1" x 3.5" so don't confuse it with the round ones where the headrest goes in. Also, the vent grill on each side of the center console by your leg area. They are also not available and brake easily. Not sure if this is for all cars or cars with a/c only. The round plugs that cover the gears for the window motors...not sure how available those are.
abe

jmackro

Reaction score
Also, the vent grill on each side of the center console by your leg area.

I also vote for reproducing these. They shouldn't be too hard to make - just vacuum forming sheet plastic after routing the slots would do it. No need to mold them.

The round plugs that cover the gears for the window motors...not sure how available those are.

The correct plugs are not available. However, the guys at Mesa Performance suggested a plug from a later BMW that is close. As I recall, it doesn't have the three clips positioned properly to grip the hole in the door panel. But you can secure them to the panel with trim adhesive, and they will look OK. Obviously when your window jams removing a glued plug is a bit less convenient than the original "snap in" part.

FlyWulf

Reaction score
Say What?

Ah yes,

Parts manufactured from the rarest substance known to all mankind.

UNOBTAINIUM!

LOL,

I'm on a roll tonight!

Cheers,

Ed