UPDATE: Rear lights all working, now funny stuff....

pecsok

Reaction score
I got the wiring straightened out on a left tail light that would'nt work. Now the euro parking feature even works! (When ignition is off, push up or down on the turn signal lever, and the corresponding PARKING lights will illuminate) However, I noticed that when I use the euro park lights the front HEADLIGHT illuminates, not the parking light/turn signal! :shock: Also, the turn signals work, but the parking lights do not illuminate when the headlight switch is pulled out. I wonder if this is because it's a euro car? Did the euro spec cars have parking lights in the front turn signal assemlbly? Time for a little more electric work!

Jon,
UK spec cars have the parking lights (side lights) built into the outer headlight on either side. The turn signal lights are just that, turn signals (indicators in Brit speak) with a two wire connection.

When the headlight switch is pulled out to the first stop then the side lights illuminate, 2nd stop the headlights come on, but the side lights also remain illuminated.

I have the UK spec wiring diagram so if required I can get a copy to you, but from memory there is a relay that controls wether the turn signal stalk controls the parking lights (ignition off) or the turn signals (ignition on)

If the HEADLIGHT is coming on with ignition off and turn signal lever in use this suggests the wiring is "modified" somewhere
HTH
Malc

Thanks for the reply. Malc

I forgot to mention that when the headlight switch is pulled out to the first detent, the headlights illuminate, but the front signal indicator lights remain off. Turn signal repeaters work as they should, though. I checked the light bulbs and they have the 2 filaments in them. It's almost as if someone pulled the wires to the parking lights and routed them to the headlights. I suspect you are correct that the wiring was "modified". Looks like a 2nd date with Leela is in order......

Regards

I have an Italian import- when ignition is off and turn signal lever to right posistion right front headlight(low) and right rear tail lamp are illuminated. This was explained as a breakdown feature. As Euro cars didn't have side markers and were added to my car for DOT import to US they don't illuminate at all in breakdown mode nor turn indicator. Your car sounds normal to me....
Jef Rolison
'71 3.0cs 221088

Jeff Pecsok
THe ability to illuminate the parking lights on either side with the ignition off and turn signal lever in either position is NOT a"breakdown" feature on european cars.
Many moons ago it was a legal requirement to park with illumination when on an unlit street or in a pontentailly exposed parking spot (especially in Germany) with other traffic on the road, before the days of reflective number plates etc.

Pecsok,
It sounds like you have US spec turn signals at the front, there should be three wires (Ground, Turn signal, side repeater light) hence the two filiament bulb, like your brake lights at the back. So it does sound like somebody has bodged the wiring to get your car to meet US specs

I believe that the US DOT only allowed sealed beam headlights for a long time, and it was not possible to get integral side lights, in fact I do remember that Halogen bulbs were only allowed in the last 15 years or so
This is a couple of reasons why until recently many European cars imported into the US have different headlight configurations to the home markets.

To get the parking feature to work on your car you are going to need outer headlights with integral side lights

Where's my anorak? :wink:
Malc

Thanks all for the feedback....

After further inspection, I have concluded the wiring has been bodged up. I notice when the headlight switch is pulled out to the 1st position the outer (low beam) lights illuminate, along with the rear parking lights. However, it's the HIGH BEAM filaments that light! :shock: When I pull the switch out to the 2nd position, the low beam filament lights as it should, but the high beam remains on. When I move the high beam lever up, the inner high beam lites illuminate as they should, and the outer lights remain on "double illumination" mode. Another observation: When I pull back on the high beam lever to flash another Bimmer, only the inner high beam lights "flash". Drat. Looks like a little more electrical work is in order!

Another observation: When I pull back on the high beam lever to flash another Bimmer, only the inner high beam lights "flash".

That is fine for a Euro. The flasher drives the high beam relay, which is only connected
to the inner beams.

When I pull the switch out to the 2nd position, the low beam filament lights as it should, but the high beam remains on. When I move the high beam lever up, the inner high beam lites illuminate as they should, and the outer lights remain on "double illumination" mode.

I think you just have the Euro wiring matched to a dual filament bulb instead of single filament bulb plus integrated parking lights. Your description matches the diagrams at:
http://www.cscoupe.org/tech/autobooks/appendix/autobooks_manual_155.htm
only that connection 56a to lights 7 should drive the integrated parking light in a Euro. In a dual filament (US) setup that connection id the high beam.

In general it is not healthy to drive both filaments at the same time, plus you may be stressing fuses 1 and 3 with the headlight filament. The simplest solution would be to replace the outer beams/bulbs with the true Euro variant.

Thanks, Arde!

Would the integrated euro parking light stay on when the low beam comes on? So a H1 setup w/ parking light would be the ticket! I believe you have hit the nail on the head! And I was saving those Cibie H4 lights just for Leela!
Many thanks!

Would the integrated euro parking light stay on when the low beam comes on? So a H1 setup w/ parking light would be the ticket! I believe you have hit the nail on the head! And I was saving those Cibie H4 lights just for Leela!

Yes it would stay on as it is the same circuit that drives the rear lights. You want it on so when you have a burned low light filament other cars realize you are a car rather than a motorcycle...

You owe me a beer and Leela's phone number, whoever Leela is.

He He

Leela is the name my wife gave to the coupe. Its from the Futurama show where Capt. Zap tells Leela to "Say it more sexily". My wife was talking about how the coupe just does everything so "sexily". The way it drives, parks, sounds, etc.
Parents live in San Jose, close to the airport. All of my extended family is spread throughout the bay area, so next time I'm in town you got your brewskie!

Back